Puritan, William Bridge, on the comfort and importance of Christ's priestly office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
I have just begun to work my way consecutively through the great Puritan divine, William Bridge's works. Until now, I have only bounced around the five volumes. Bridge is best known for "A Lifting Up for the Downcast" in the Puritan Paperback series published by the Banner of Truth. Everything that I have read by Bridge has been like a sweet balm unto my soul. His collected works are one of the rarest ever published by Soli Deo Gloria. If you ever see them, do not hesitate to pick them up. Anyhow, I did not get far until feeling the urge to share something. May it cause you to revel at our great High Priest.

William-Bridge.jpg
“Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted." Heb. 2:17-18

“The priestly office of Christ, it is the great magazine and storehouse of all that grace and comfort which we have this side heaven: it is that whereby we are reconciled to God the Father, and relieved against all temptation. This is the great thing that these words hold forth.
And there, upon this account, the apostle Paul, finding the Hebrews laboring under great temptations, doubtings, fears, and much unbelief; he does not only here, but all along in this book of the Hebrews, open the priestly office of Christ unto them.
And indeed, what comfort can we have in God Himself, but through Christ? And what comfort can we have in Christ Himself, but as He is clothed with His priestly garment, with the office of High Priest? Whatsoever comfort we have in the other offices of Christ, namely His kingly and His prophetical offices, it is all originated and principiated in this: the priestly office of Jesus Christ, it does give a life, and being, and efficacy to both the other offices. And therefore the high priest, in the times of the Old Testament, (who was a type of Christ) he wore a crown upon his head, and the breastplate of Urim and Thummim upon his breast: showing that both the other offices, the kingly and the prophetical office, were planted upon the priestly office of Jesus Christ.”

William Bridge. The Great Gospel Mystery of the Saint's Comfort and Holiness, Opened and Applied from Christ's Priestly Office. The Works of the Rev. William Bridge vol. 1. Soli Deo Gloria Reprint 1989.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back