Puritan Sermons on Plague?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! I have read articles on how both Luther and Spurgeon encouraged people during epidemics of sickness. I have also seen mention that there were puritans who stayed in London during the Great Plague but none are named. I am wondering if anyone knows who some of these puritans are and if any of their sermons or memoirs remain about experience during the plague.
I thought this would be good material to review give then coronavirus outbreak.

For His Glory-
Matthew

A Pastor friend posted this on FB today:

"Christians are not impotent in the face of sickness. We have a long history of dealing with it from seeing it as a judgment from God to how we ought to care for the sick. Let's not act like we do not know what to do. Here are some resources to read.

Thomas Vincent, God's Terrible Voice in the City (a Puritan's response to the Great Plague and Great Fire of London, 1665-1666) Vincent was also active in administering pastoral care to plague and fire victims.

John Chrysostom, Homily 26 on Matthew

Martin Luther, Whether One May Flee from the Deadly Plague (Vol. 43 of Works; also in Lull, ed. Martin Luther's Basic Theological Writings)

John Calvin, On the Visitation of the Sick (Vol. 2 of Tracts and Letters) Several of his biographies note how active Calvin was in pastoral care for the sick during several outbreaks of plague and sickness.

"Ministration to the Sick" in the Book of Common Prayer

"Prayers for the Sick and Spiritually Depressed, 1, 2, and 3" and "Consolation of the Sick" in Prayers and Meditations, URCNA (See also "Consolation of the Sick" and "Prayer for the Sick and Spiritually Depressed" in Doctrinal Standards, Liturgy, and Church Order, Reformation Heritage Books)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back