Puritan & Reformed view on Septuagint?

Discussion in 'Translations and Manuscripts' started by thistle93, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:39 PM.

1. thistle93

thistle93 Puritan Board Freshman

Hi! I am just curious if any of you know what the puritans & general reformed view (Calvin) was on the Septuagint. Was it helpful or to be avoided? Especially thinking about the Deuterocanonical books contained in the Septuagint. Obliviously not viewed as canonical and therefore are non-authoratative but according to purtian/reformed tradition were they something that would benefit or harm the Christian? Any puritans or reformed theologians wrote on subject or are we forced to just speculate? Thanks!

For His Glory-
    Matthew

2. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Professor

They'd view it as what it is - a translation of the Hebrew (nothing more or less).

3. Contra_Mundum

Contra_Mundum Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger Staff Member

The Westminster Confession (1646), which may be said distills much of the Reformation's thinking, after listing (in ch.1) the truly canonical writings of OT & NT, says this:
    III. The books commonly called Apocrypha, not being of divine inspiration, are no part of the canon of the Scripture, and therefore are of no authority in the Church of God, nor to be any otherwise approved, or made use of, than other human writings.​

Here's what the 39 Articles (CoE, 1563) teaches:
    And the other Books (as Hierome [Jerome] saith) the Church doth read for example of life and instruction of manners; but yet doth it not apply them to establish any doctrine; such are these following:​

4. Contra_Mundum

Contra_Mundum Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger Staff Member

The deuterocanonocals (Apocrypha) included in the LXX are not extant in Hebrew at all (if they even had a Hebrew original, SFAIK mere speculation at this point)

5. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Professor

I agree. I was merely speaking of the other parts that are translated from the Hebrew.

6. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritanboard Commissioner

7. RJ Spencer

RJ Spencer Puritan Board Freshman

I'd say if it's okay to watch or read secular novels and television that it's okay to read the non canonical books in the same spirit. I thoroughly enjoy the book of Wisdom, understanding that it is not scripture of course.