puritan practice of catechizing children

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielC

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm writing a paper for Sinclair Ferguson's Puritan Pastoral Theology class on the puritan practice of catechizing children. Does anyone know any good sources on this specific topic? Or where I could find Dr. Watt's catechism? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well, as I do hope to be a good and faithful catechist one day. Thanks!

Here's a book for you to check out ...

Rediscovering Catechism - The Art Of Equipping Covenant Children
By: Donald Van Dyken
P&R Publishers - Softcover - 147p.

I read this book a couple years ago. It is chock full of info. I think you will find it helpful.

Originally posted by ANT

I read this book a couple years ago. It is chock full of info. I think you will find it helpful.

Thanks for the help guys.

Though I'm sure it's loads of fun to argue about things which we do or don't presume, and who is or isn't heretical, I actually meant to focus on how the Puritans thought we should catechize children, and how they put that into practice. It's seems to me that everyone wrote catechisms of their own for a while (Cotton, Owen, Oecolampadius, Cranmer, Perkins, Hopkinson, Rutherford, Bunyan, Capell, Drelincourt, Keach, blah blah blah), and in time only a few really caught on (Westminster, Heidelberg, Luther, Calvin), and then people began to just write commentaries and/or catechisms on those catechisms (Vincent, Henry, Watson, blah blah blah). I'm trying to pickup on what the reigning catechisms were at the time of the Puritans (like Watts - I think), how I can find them and compare them, and then how they were put into practice (Baxter being a prime example). Has anyone read Watts catechism? Does anyone know of any other good sources on the puritan practice of catechizing children? Where did the popular children's catechism we use today originate (Who made you: God. What else did God make: all things...)? That would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction! Thanks!

You guys need to put these posts in a new thread with another title. It is going to be very difficult for anyone to get anywhere if they want to learn about the topic that this thread was actually supposed to be about while trying to weed through your guys personal conversation.

Originally posted by DanielC
Originally posted by ANT

Thanks for the help guys.

Though I'm sure it's loads of fun to argue about things which we do or don't presume, and who is or isn't heretical, I actually meant to focus on how the Puritans thought we should catechize children, and how they put that into practice. It's seems to me that everyone wrote catechisms of their own for a while (Cotton, Owen, Oecolampadius, Cranmer, Perkins, Hopkinson, Rutherford, Bunyan, Capell, Drelincourt, Keach, blah blah blah), and in time only a few really caught on (Westminster, Heidelberg, Luther, Calvin), and then people began to just write commentaries and/or catechisms on those catechisms (Vincent, Henry, Watson, blah blah blah). I'm trying to pickup on what the reigning catechisms were at the time of the Puritans (like Watts - I think), how I can find them and compare them, and then how they were put into practice (Baxter being a prime example). Has anyone read Watts catechism? Does anyone know of any other good sources on the puritan practice of catechizing children? Where did the popular children's catechism we use today originate (Who made you: God. What else did God make: all things...)? That would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction! Thanks!

Sorry I butted in, but we need to keep the threads focused for the sake of the board, and the people reading them.

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by ANT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back