Puritan Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimV

Puritanboard Botanist
While my favorite pets are the four cats, including the young male watching me now, I have a taste for the unusual. It may be partly a gender deal, since my sons like them more than my daughters, but here are some of my pets to get this thread started off. Please post pics of your pets! Those besides the cats don't live inside, though, in case any of you ever are in the area and want to visit.

First, a pair of Emperor scorpions. They eat a couple cockroaches per week, which I raise for them and some of the other animals. They get rather...large.

medium.jpg

original.jpg

Here's one of a couple dozen tarantulas, with a pretty ruby thorax. She's a sweetie

original.jpg

And a small Hissing cockroach. They're really clean, and make the cutest noise!
medium.jpg

Cockroaches are CLEAN and don't smell, and are preferred in the arachno hobby over crickets :graduate:

I think there was a reason why God chose to not have me around in the beginning of creation. Verse 25 would have been interrupted by my constant complaining and griping over the creeping things. :lol:

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the insect exhibit at the Cincinnati zoo recently: I have always been terrified of bugs, had nightmares, etc: but they were all so terribly (but terribly) beautiful. They had the hissing cockroaches and scorpions, but I don't remember seeing ruby on any tarantulas.

Ruben doesn't like pets but says I may have a fish. I'm debating about it. I'm not sure how I am going to feel about keeping something that can swim (which must be such a joy: I can't) confined in a small bowl. Plus I'm not sure I'm responsible enough to have a pet :).

These are the cats we rescued from a fire. The gray one is Tom, and the black one is Sylvester.

Sylvester was badly burned, especially on his ears. His beautiful black fur is now speckled with white patches, because in each place he was burned, his fur grew back white instead of black. (His paws, chest and nose have always been white)

Last edited:
We are fish-keepers -- we just set up a new 45-gallon tank last week for live-bearers in addition to our two other tanks and beta bowl. I always had dogs and cats growing up, but they don't fit in the picture right now. I'd love my boys to have a dog someday.

We also have numerous other animals--two dogs, a black lab and a swiss mountain/golden retriever mix, a LOT of chickens (over 50 the last count), 2 fish, one more cat and a ball python.

I currently have three pets: two dogs and one cat. One dog we took in is a TOTAL mutt but is very sweet and loves to rough-house if you want to. Plus, she stops the instant you say "no" and seems to recognize just how gentle she needs to be with kids. My other dog is a border collie/terrier/demon spawn mix. She looks like a mini-Border Collie and is just adorable but all she EVER wants to do is play. Ever. We saved my cat's litter when they were a few days old from a chainsaw-wielding madman (aka my step-dad) who was cutting wood that was covering them. She releases ZERO noticeable allergens and absolutely loves people. She is the perfect cat for my family.

Someday when I am on my own I don't know if I will go for cockroaches, scorpions, or tarantulas, though. I really want big dogs like I had when I was a little guy. I'm thinking German shepherds, pitbulls, labs...or really whatever the wife wants :)

MacasEwok.jpg

MacDoggie Everett McFadden ("Mac"), dressed in the picture with a tux for his "Aunt Sarah's" California wedding reception, is currently napping between my legs on the couch. He sleeps with us on the bed at night, loves Pico Pica hot hot sauce on scrambled eggs, gazes attentively at the iPod speakers when I'm on the treadmill and listening to some theological lecture (he is a dogmatic theologian afterall), and stations himself loyally at the feet of whomever in the family is ill. He likes to listen to R.C. Sproul but has been known to bark at liberals on the tv.

Kevin, given both you're location and your family's bravery, I think many of us would like to see some of those....

Tim, it's nothing too adventurous - we only eat grasshoppers at the restaurant, we don't catch them and raise them ourselves (same with scorpions, though we only eat the baby ones.)

Mostly, it's just pigs, chickens, and rabbits. Easy to raise, easy to feed, and tasty.

That's a great name for a pig. It not only echoes "Almanzo" from the Little House on the Prairie, it also means "snack" or "brunch" in Spanish.

Last edited:
My wife was raised in Honduras, hence the name. At the time, we had two pigs. The other was named Cena (dinner).

Joseph always went out to talk to them just before I butchered them, to let them know they were going to be slaughtered that night. He's the 'pig whisperer' in our family (he would give a swine a belly rub that would make them fall over.)

We got two kittens a couple of months ago to replace our poor Ursula. My daughter made a video montage of them playing and be cute.

[video=youtube;BA7EYx3cFuI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7EYx3cFuI[/video]

We have two dogs: Samson, a standard schnauzer, and Sedgwick, a Jack Russel Terrier. [video=youtube;QtX7jOHT2Xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtX7jOHT2Xo[/video]: Enjoy!

Last edited:
Great videos there. Wish I could have a cat. Grew up with them my whole childhood, left for the Navy, came back and now I am allergic to them. Sucks. We have a 10-gallon fish tank with a few orange and black mollies and a cantankerous algae eater.

My daughter is old enough now to know when they have died in the tank. Guess its time to have the old death of death in the death of Christ talk now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back