Puritan book on Anxiety, Worry, Self-Esteem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
Is there a good Puritan work out there on dealing with anxiety, worry, self-esteem? (I'm thinking if there was an easier Puritan to read in order to give the book away to someone)

Jeremiah Burroughs, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, for one.

Readily available in the Banner of Truth paperback series.

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard very good things about Trouble of Mind and Disease of Melancholy. It's longer and I'm guessing probably a little more difficult to digest than Burroughs.

Others that come to mind from Banner's Puritan Paperbacks are A Lifting Up for the Downcast and The Bruised Reed.

You won't find many (if any) Puritan books on self-esteem. But here are some suggestions for the other two topics:

"The Poor Doubting Christian Drawn to Christ" by Thomas Hooker

"The Dejected Soul's Cure" by Christopher Love

"The Doubting Believer" by Obadiah Sedgwick

"Altogether Lovely" by Jonathan Edwards

Jeremiah Burroughs, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, for one.

I'm reading it now and am finding it very uplifting. It is readable and on-point for issues that face believers in any era.

It's also available in a Kindle edition; I believe I got it either free or for a minimal amount.

Regarding self-esteem, as a believer, my confidence is in the finished work of Christ, not myself. I am a dirty, rotten sinner, saved by the precious blood of the Lamb. In my humble opinion, Christianized pop-psychology has popularized the concept of self-esteem among believers, and tends to focus inwardly at the risk of becoming self-centered. Of course, we should not be continually beating ourselves up for our shortcomings and past sins. We should be trusting in Christ and His righteousness as we allow Him to sanctify our lives, redeeming them for His glory. Nor should be be living in constant anxiety or depression. The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Burroughs addresses these issues in a tangible way. I have found myself thinking of some of the concepts presented in his book as I go throughout my daily life and encounter opportunities to either trust myself (as a work of the flesh), or to worry about things which our Father has control of.

Last edited:
You won't find many (if any) Puritan books on self-esteem. But here are some suggestions for the other two topics:

"The Poor Doubting Christian Drawn to Christ" by Thomas Hooker

"The Dejected Soul's Cure" by Christopher Love

"The Doubting Believer" by Obadiah Sedgwick

"Altogether Lovely" by Jonathan Edwards

I haven't read the others, but I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation of Sedgwick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back