Paedo-Baptism Answers Puritan Board resources on Paedobaptism

Stephen L Smith

Staff member
Friends, on my signature you will note there has been a shift on my thinking re Baptism.

I am just trying to cement my convictions more strongly together. Those of you who have been involved in rigorous discussions on the Puritan Board before, what are some of the best posts/threads on the Puritan Board that might help cement paedobaptist convictions together. I have found some but I am sure there are some very helpful discussions I have not seen yet. Thank you. I am sure this would also be helpful to others thinking through the issue.

G

Puritan Board Senior
Friends, on my signature you will note there has been a shift on my thinking re Baptism.

I am just trying to cement my convictions more strongly together. Those of you who have been involved in rigorous discussions on the Puritan Board before, what are some of the best posts/threads on the Puritan Board that might help cement paedobaptist convictions together. I have found some but I am sure there are some very helpful discussions I have not seen yet. Thank you. I am sure this would also be helpful to others thinking through the issue.
I knew something was up when you ditched the tractor/cat avatar!:detective:

G

Puritan Board Senior
Btw...Ligon Duncan’s RTS lecture series on Covenant Theology really helped cement things for me after I committed. You can listen to all the lectures for free through the itunes U app.

JP Wallace

Puritan Board Sophomore
Not on PB (Puritanboard) but excellent on PB (paedobaptism) - if you haven't already listened these sermons by Prof Edward Donnelly are the best short sermons on the subject I have found.

I used to be a reformed baptist too, but I must confess I don't think I have read too many threads on the subject on Puritanboard - I did ready a far few books./articles etc. though if you want some direction there.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Sophomore
I think you've read the ruin and redemption section, right?

I kind of liked the cat avatar. I love MLJ, but the pic is a bit stodgy. Wow, maybe we could just call him MJ...

Stephen L Smith

Staff member

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Sophomore
Yes. Hoping to finish off the material on the Sinai Covenant soon. Very helpful.

Yes I did like the cat avatar. Mittens remains a special friend :) Did not get your 'MJ' comment though.
MJ is usually used to refer to Michael Jordan, which is fresh on the mind with the recent documentary :D

Stephen L Smith

Staff member
Any other suggestions? There have been some vigorous discussions on Paedobaptism on the Puritan Board at various times. It would be great to have access to the best of them.

RPEphesian

Puritan Board Junior
@JP Wallace posted the sermons by Ted Donnelly. Those were a great help to me. @JTB.SDG also helped me in this thread Finer question on the New Covenant to better understand the nature of the New Covenant. The nature of the NC was the last objection I had before switching over. A long-time friend of mine who was making way on the subject of baptism finally turned the corner after she read this one, or another one about the New Covenant posted around the same time.

Really, it wasn't any particular thread. The biggest thing was praying and hammering out the Scriptures. That's the most important thing you can do for any practice, but also because many Baptists are not persuaded that we get our doctrine from Scripture. The real big thing is to make sure you can go full ad fontes and defend your position. It will keep you stable and confident, and you will get the most spiritual comfort possible from it.

But, the ultimate to that is the view of God that you come to, of which the subjects of baptism rests downstream. The ultimate reward of Reformed Covenant Theology is to see a 6,000-year panorama of God's mercy, grace, patience, and faithfulness to keep His oath, to provide a Mediator, and to persuade us that "neither height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Last edited: