Puppy Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terriers are a good bet for someone with allergies. Can't go wrong with a Westie.
Terriers make great family dogs and companions. I've heard Westies can be a little stubborn due to high intelligence but I think that can be applied to all terrier breeds.

I've been looking at dog food and a lot has changed since we owned our last dog. Any recommendations on food?

Terriers make great family dogs and companions. I've heard Westies can be a little stubborn due to high intelligence but I think that can be applied to all terrier breeds.
My Westie was never stubborn. She always had a sweet personality. She wasn't much of a lap dog, though! Tough little girl. She loved nothing more than long hikes and killing vermin.
I've been looking at dog food and a lot has changed since we owned our last dog. Any recommendations on food?
I really can't say much. I haven't had a dog in the house for years. I would just warn you to be wary that most brands of dog food use a lot of cheap filler, so do pay attention to the ingredients. Low-quality food actually seemed to cause some skin problems for ours. Westies do have a tendency to get dry skin, but certain foods seemed to make it come out. Skin dryness cleared up when we changed brands.

You can find good prices at chewy.com!

You can find good prices at chewy.com!
Thanks.

Any tips on training?

I followed the old method taught by the monks of new skete and now there is a massive disagreement in the corrective methods and the "alpha roll." Not sure where to go from here. The monks plan for house training worked perfectly and we have had puppies house trained in a few days using following their advise but if the "alpha roll" encourages aggression I want to avoid that at all costs.

The monks had much good training advice and I learned a lot from them but the “alpha roll” has fallen into disfavor. My take is that it can be effective for dogs of a certain temperament and size where establishing hierarchy might need to be done at the outset, but for many dogs, such as Cavaliers, it’s overkill and can damage a trust bond.

This website used to be dependable, hopefully they haven’t sold out! https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

In our family we are cat people :D They are extremely low maintenance and we just adopted one for free, and it took all of 15 minutes to take her home after we picked her out. She was the only cat out of about 60 that let our 3 kids wrangle her. We knew she was the one. Besides, cats have crazy heightened senses that make me think they might have some sort of ability to perceive some spiritual things.

I do love dogs too, it's just not the right season in life for us to have one.

Thanks.

Any tips on training?

I followed the old method taught by the monks of new skete and now there is a massive disagreement in the corrective methods and the "alpha roll." Not sure where to go from here. The monks plan for house training worked perfectly and we have had puppies house trained in a few days using following their advise but if the "alpha roll" encourages aggression I want to avoid that at all costs.
I would definitely recommend going to an obedience class if you can swing it!

But using positive reinforcement is gonna be your best bet. Also I really like watching the trainer Victoria Stilwell and her show "It's Me or the Dog" on YouTube. She has a lot of good tips!

I would definitely recommend going to an obedience class if you can swing it!

But using positive reinforcement is gonna be your best bet. Also I really like watching the trainer Victoria Stilwell and her show "It's Me or the Dog" on YouTube. She has a lot of good tips!
For sure. I'd watch that all the time even though I don't have a dog. Works with kids too!

My wife and I raise Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, so our house is quite literally like a scene out of 101 Dalmatians meets Lady and the Tramp every day. Our pups are expensive but it's not cheap to breed this level of cuteness and affectionate character. After three years we are just starting to turn a profit, though we really do it because of the joy our dogs bring people. My wife hand picks the families they go to from a massive waiting list; in some cases, they light up the life of a newly widowed retiree, or a family with a child with Down's syndrome, and it is very rewarding to get emails and pictures from the pups we have sent out into the world (many of whom enjoy a far better standard of living than we do!). Check out our website at Stcolmescavaliers.com. (And yes, I know that there is something weird about promoting Cavaliers on a Puritan site; what can I say - King Charles II had better taste in dogs than in worship practices)View attachment 7962
We have a Cavapoo - blend of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel with a mini poodle. She looks like an Ewok.

Before the recession, my wife was fetching $3000 apiece for our female Maltese puppies w/breeding rights. 2017 changed everything.

Before the recession, my wife was fetching $3000 apiece for our female Maltese puppies w/breeding rights. 2017 changed everything.
My parents love their Maltese but puppy prices haven't drop in my area. Not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back