Psalms set to contemporary music

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
In this thread:

JBaldwin wrote this:

Best: The increase of the number of reformed composers/authors writing sound contemporary Christian music and putting entire Psalms in contemporary settings.

Can someone give me some info on where to find these?

One Australian band I love is the Sons of Korah. They only sing Psalms to brilliant music. You can find out more about them from here.

One Australian band I love is the Sons of Korah. They only sing Psalms to brilliant music. You can find out more about them from here.

Amen - Sons of Korah are one of my favorite bands. Their stuff is sold in the USA at Family Christian Bookstores.

Indellible Grace and Jars of Clay have a few songs that are psalms

In a month Sovereign Grace Music is releasing an Album on the psalms, I expect this to be rough paraphrases, or songs loosely based off them.

First Post! Scripture Songs

I don't think any of the following are Reformed, but they are resources for scripture songs. And they're all free.

Psalm 119 broken into 22 sections for singing and lists other Psalms all acapella:

Free Scripture Songs and Sermon MP3s | Bible Memory Tools

From the following site I downloaded 180 scripture songs including a few full psalms and a lot of partial psalms. They are all put to contemporary music. The site also has guitar tablature for each of them. (Under the album Break Out check out Be Strong. The guy sounds like the lead singer for Rush. And try not to grin like an idiot in public. I got some really strange looks. Also resist the urge to sing along.)

NuBeat.org Page 1

NuBeat.org Page 2

If you follow any of the links away from the above pages have a filter on. If you want to download 7 of the albums at once click here: http://www.mininova.org/get/111754 It's a torrent. Just right click and save. The torrent contains the same songs as the site, but downloading all 180 from the site could take forever.

From this site I download Romans 6-8 set to music:

Romans 6-8 Scripture Songs Samples

If you want Jazz Hymns including Jazz renderings of the Lord's Prayer, various psalms and Psalm 19:7-11 this site has the mp3s (no vocals) with the sheet music:

† GraceSongs - Songs for the Soul †

If anyone knows of a place where I can download the Lord's Prayer and Psalm 19:7-11 music and vocals for free, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
In addition to the ones already mentioned, Graham Kendrick has a beautiful setting of Psalm 25:1-7 "To you O Lord" which is one of my favorites.

I just came across a nice setting of Psalm 62 by Stuart Townend and Aaron Keyes which you can listen to and download (sheet music) on Worship Together.com for free this week.

Sovereign Grace Music also has a few complete Psalms set to music on their music resource page.

A lot of time the Psalms set to music are not listed as Psalms (for instance Praise the Lord on Sovereign Grace is a setting to Psalm 150, but is not listed as such), but when you look at the lyrices you find a nice surprise.

I'm curious what people think of this.

Very nice - wish there were corresponding lead sheets :(

:ditto: I do not have time for transcribing at this point in my life.

I'll mention to the artiste that sheet-music would be nice! He might even be able to market it on the net. He's working on another one now that will probably have Psalms and some other lyrics as well. I know the EP'ers won't want that for church music, but it's lovely, and you might enjoy it in other contexts. I think he has set one of John Donne's sacred poems to music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back