Psalmody Calendar / Sing Through Psalms in a Calendar Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird0827

PuritanBoard Honor Roll
Can anyone tell me if there is an online copy of a suggested schedule for singing through the Metrical Psalter in a calendar year? The document I'm referring to is geared toward family worship. It calls for singing a Psalm or part of a psalm on every day of the week except for the Lord's Day.

I have part of it but I am missing two of the months (May and September).

One of my duties (a blessing and privilege, I might add) as precentor is to construct a version of this calendar that suggests the tunes with which our congregation is already familiar and provide it to the heads of households on a monthly basis.

I need just the daily passages. I can fill in the tunes. Actually even if I could have just September, that would be a tremendous help; as I had already managed to create the one for May. September is a bit more of a challenge because it begins right around the break from Book IV to Book V.

TIA -- Jay

This won't really help, but for anyone else trying to do this, FPCR's Comprehensive Psalter is divided up in selections to sing 6 each week, allowing singing through the psalms each year.

Chris,

:up:

Thank you! You have told me exactly what I needed to know. I own a copy of The Comprehensive Psalter. There it is right on the very first page (numbered iii) of the preface to the book. Duh. All I needed was for someone to read the documentation to me, since I didn't read it myself. I spend hours doing the very same thing on my regular job, every day. :lol:

Much appreciated; thanks again! --Jay

[Edited on 7-13-2006 by jaybird0827]

I'm not sure I understand the humor. Which Puritans opposed the practice of singing through the psalms, or for that matter, reading the Scriptures through in a given year?

Originally posted by kevin.carroll
How lectionary! Hey, do you hear that? Isn't the sound of Puritans rolling over in their graves? :lol:

I regret having started this thread. Apparently this is not the safest venue in which to ask a question. :(

Remember the kind of church the Puritans came out of (Anglican / Church of England). Not everything they did was bad. Structure is VERY good in comparrison to the willy nilly laxidazical "(s)pirit lead" mumbo jumbo the contemproay "evangelical" doddles in today.

Where did I place my lectionary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back