Psalm Singing Seminar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grace Alone

Puritan Board Senior
"Where Are the Psalms?" The state of congregational Psalm singing after 50 years of worship renewal

Erskine College and Seminary (ARP) is sponsoring this seminar Thursday and Friday, Feb. 26-27, 2009 in Due West, SC.

"Where are the Psalms in American Protestant worship life? Even denominations that used to define themselves by their exclusive Psalm singing have often largely abandoned the practice. And while contemporary Praise and Worship services frequently use Psalm-based choruses, they tend to include only a verse or two.

Over the past fifty years, other denominations have been urging the inclusion of sung Psalmody in their recommended orders of worship, and have been providing a growing number of resources. Yet, for the most part, these voices and resources are being ignored at the congregational level.

This symposium addresses these issues:
Why have denominations been so ineffective in convincing congregations to sing the Psalms? Should Psalms be sung in Christian worship? If so, after fifty years of worship renewal and change, what do we do now to encourage more Psalm singing?

http://www.erskineseminary.org/IRW/...msConference/PsalmsConferenceBrochureTest.pdf

I just went to a Family Bible Conference at the ARP conference center in NC, and we sang from their book of psalms, Bible Songs. I really hope this conference ignites new interest in bringing back this form of biblical music!

There were apparently endowments left to the college to promote the return of Psalm singing. I hope they succeed. We use the Trinity Hymnal, which I like, but I think it would be very sad for the heritage of Psalm singing to be lost.

That looks like a good seminar/conference. Terry Johnson has many good insights into public worship. He wrote the chapter arguing for Inclusive Psalmody in Give Praise to Him, ed. Derek Thomas, Philip Ryken, and Ligon Duncan.

I know that membership in NAPARC requires their members to seek unity and reunion, and that in particular the RPCNA and ARP are working at the denominational level examining their roots. Is this part of that?

Available in audio?

Do you know if the audio will be made freely available?

I'm trying to get my church to switch to singing predominantly Psalms and scripture songs. I found all of Psalm 119 at pursuinglife.com It's all acapella and very well done.

That looks like a good seminar/conference. Terry Johnson has many good insights into public worship. He wrote the chapter arguing for Inclusive Psalmody in Give Praise to Him, ed. Derek Thomas, Philip Ryken, and Ligon Duncan.

I know that membership in NAPARC requires their members to seek unity and reunion, and that in particular the RPCNA and ARP are working at the denominational level examining their roots. Is this part of that?

I am not sure. I do know Mark Ross has been involved in rewriting some things (Book of Worship?) to make them more reformed such as the wording used for baptism. I was told that the wording used in some reformed denominations actually uses the word "dedication" in the infant baptism and some of this is being corrected. However, whether this is part of that whole movement, I do not know.

Incidentally, I had the pleasure of hearing Ligon Duncan and Sinclair Ferguson speak at the conference this past week. Thank the Lord for godly leaders such as these!

Do you know if the audio will be made freely available?

I'm trying to get my church to switch to singing predominantly Psalms and scripture songs. I found all of Psalm 119 at pursuinglife.com It's all acapella and very well done.

If they tape it, I am sure the CD's would be available to anyone. You can actually purchase the ARP Bible Songs book from the ARP if you are interested. (Click on Resources, then go down to Other Resources: ARP Bookstore, see 3rd item on the list)

ARPCHURCH.ORG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back