Psalm recordings online--current links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexanRose

Puritan Board Sophomore
I'm compiling a list of websites that have free psalm recordings. I'm looking specifically for two things:

1. Psalms from the 1650 Scottish Psalter
2. Sung a capella

I did a forums search, but a lot of the threads that came up were old and had dead links. Others had links to recordings from other psalters, or with instrumental accompaniment, which were nice, but not what I'm looking for at the moment.

Here's what I have so far:

This is a great central repository of psalm recordings, though it could use a few more. :)
Psalm Singing Online - psalm-singing.org

The Free Church has a few posted here:
Free Church of Scotland
Some of these are also posted on psalm-singing.org, but others are only available on the Free Church site, I think.

Joshua's church has a few nice ones posted here: Christ Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church: Wylie, Tx

And we've been making a few recordings ourselves at informal psalm singing gatherings, and posting them here:
Internet Archive: Bookmarks

Any other links that you have to share? I suspect that there are more psalm recordings floating around out there somewhere, just haven't been able to find them. :)

Well, I actually haven't found much on youtube that was both a capella, and from the Scottish Psalter. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms? I found a few playlists, but most of them only had a couple that matched my two criteria. My internet connection can't handle much Youtube browsing, so I gave up for now. Anyone want to share any particular favorites from Youtube?

I have acquired a number of links over the past few years. I'll have a look and see if I can add to your list.

So far, I've been able to compile a playlist of just around 35 (I think) recordings, though I'll have to go back through the sites I listed above to see if I missed any. Considering that the recordings are usually between 4 to 6 stanzas in length, this is a very small percentage of the 1650 Psalter that is available online. It would be nice to see a larger selection of recordings available, or even all 150 Psalms.

Yes, I have seen and appreciate Michael Owen's site. Sadly, while Mr. Owens has an excellent beard, he has chosen the wrong Psalter to work with. :) It would be nice if someone would do something similar with the Scottish Psalter.

Yes, I have seen and appreciate Michael Owen's site. Sadly, while Mr. Owens has an excellent beard, he has chosen the wrong Psalter to work with. :) It would be nice if someone would do something similar with the Scottish Psalter.

Amen about doing something similar with the Scottish Psalter. If you end up finding anything, please pass it along.

Just in case, there is this available:

The Psalms of David in Metre - Scottish Metrical Version of 1650

Presbyterian Reformed Church

I wish they had samples to listen to before purchasing.

There is also this site, which has quite a few CDs, and you can listen to samples:
Psalters, Psalm Singing and Music - Still Waters Revival Books

*edit: most of the CDs available at SWRB are also available at the FP bookroom for much better prices--www.fpbookroom.org*

Though at the moment, I'm really looking for free downloads. I find that listening to and singing along with psalm recordings is a great way to memorize the psalms and improve my singing (and it makes washing dishes--my least favorite chore--much more enjoyable :) ), but I can't really afford to buy CDs right now.

Last edited:

I own volume I. It is excellent and it costs $5. Note, though, that while all of the psalms are from the Scottish psalter, not all the tunes are Scottish tunes (e.g. a couple tunes from the RPCNA psalter set to Scottish lyrics). If you remember our previous discussion about psalm tunes, this is the CD I was talking about. It is excellent in my opinion.

Here's the first video of a series described "A programme on the religion of the Outer Isles of Scotland with a close focus on the singing of Psalms and the worship of the different Presbyterian churches - including the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland." You'll hear some psalm singing throughout this series, though the purpose of the series is more informational than devotional.

YouTube - I shall not die.1

And here's one that I found in the sidebar when I was viewing the above:

YouTube - Harris - Psalm 10:16-18 (Tune: St. Kilda)

Sharon, I remember that TV program from years ago. I may still have it on VHS. I will watch it again when I have time.
BTW, in the link to Psalm 10 (and he sings it beautifully) the words are from Sing Psalms.
Here are some others I discovered from your link Sharon. They are from Dowanvale FC in Glasgow- where I used to be a member. Totally surprised to discover them on You Tube, but delighted none the less.

Ps 119: 57-60, Tune: St Andrew
YouTube - Psalm 119: 57-64 to St Andrews

Ps 95:6-11, Tune: Gainsborough
YouTube - Psalm 95: 6-11 to Gainsborough

Ps 107: 27-31, Tune: Kilmarnock
YouTube - Psalm 107:27-31 to Kilmarnock

There are others on You Tube from Dowanvale but they are not from the Scottish Psalter.

I own volume I. It is excellent and it costs $5. Note, though, that while all of the psalms are from the Scottish psalter, not all the tunes are Scottish tunes (e.g. a couple tunes from the RPCNA psalter set to Scottish lyrics). If you remember our previous discussion about psalm tunes, this is the CD I was talking about. It is excellent in my opinion.

I almost forgot -- the recording for the first video posted by 21st Century Calvinist above (Psalm 103) is from this CD, so there's a sample for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back