Psalm 82, Neumark, LPC Psalter, against ungodly rulers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Sang Psalm 82 from the LPC Psalter at end of service tonight. Since it's LPC's rendering, I have carte blanche to post the music.
Organ playing Neumark at the video below the text (ignore the hymn words).
Psalm82.jpg

Do members of your church render certain Psalms into meter? That's interesting.
I don't understand the question. The church compiled an eclectic but full psalter from several published. Psalm 82 was likely originally the 1912 UPC Psalter. We decided a good many of those selections were too far from the original, missing text or thoughts, etc.. On these redos our policy was to take the 1871 UPC and work it as needed to bring it up to our rule of as few extra words, or what we called padding to fit the tune, as possible.

When the sheet music said

Text: Lakewood Presbyterian Church

I thought it was insinuating that your church or members of it had taken the Psalm in prose and rendered into meter. I understand now that it's an eclectic psalter. I thought you meant Lakewood had a psalter that had Psalms rendered into meter by your church, which I thought was pretty interesting.

The Lakewood Psalter is really my favorite. I’ve often wished it could be more widely distributed.

When the sheet music said

Text: Lakewood Presbyterian Church

I thought it was insinuating that your church or members of it had taken the Psalm in prose and rendered into meter. I understand now that it's an eclectic psalter. I thought you meant Lakewood had a psalter that had Psalms rendered into meter by your church, which I thought was pretty interesting.
Okay; I wasn't sure what you meant. No, while I think there are a handful that the pastor did 100%, most of the 1912 that had to be replaced were revised from the 1871 or 1912 or in some cases both if I recall rightly.

I love that you have been able to edit some of the 1912 Psalms. My OPC uses it a lot because we have 1990 Trinity Hymnals, and most of the Psalm selections are from the 1912. I always compare the Psalms we'll be singing to the 1650 or to my Bible and I often find it uncomfortable to sing the 1912 Psalter. I'm thankful we sing Psalms but I'm not a fan of hallelujah choruses or putting the name of Christ into Psalms. Is there anyway for others outside LPC to look at and use the Psalter?

We didn't get stock to sell and in fact the agreement to use the different selections from other current psalters prevents it. We had a very few I sold as 'my helper's copies' to some PB folks when it came out. I can see if I can get another but no promises. It would be some minimum cost like $20 and under postage paid.
I love that you have been able to edit some of the 1912 Psalms. My OPC uses it a lot because we have 1990 Trinity Hymnals, and most of the Psalm selections are from the 1912. I always compare the Psalms we'll be singing to the 1650 or to my Bible and I often find it uncomfortable to sing the 1912 Psalter. I'm thankful we sing Psalms but I'm not a fan of hallelujah choruses or putting the name of Christ into Psalms. Is there anyway for others outside LPC to look at and use the Psalter?

Unfortunately, a lot of English Psalters have made these mistakes. e.g.,

Psalm 2:1-2 in the Scottish Psalter of 1635
1 Why did the Gentiles tumults raise?
What rage was in their brain?
Why do the people still contrive
a thing that is but vain?
2 The kings and rulers of the earth
conspire and are all bent
Against the Lord, and Christ his Son,
whom he among us sent.

At least one of the selections in the back of the split leaf Scottish Psalter of 1650 edition published by the FCoS adds hallelujahs to the end, though we skipped those when using the selection in the FCC.

There's other translations that can be improved in the 1650 too:

"Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the LORD from the heavens: praise him in the heights." -Psalm 148:1 (KJV 1769)

"The Lord of heav'n confess,
On high his glory raise." -Psalm 148:1 (SMV 1650, 2nd version)

"Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created." -Psalm 148:5 (KJV 1769)

"From God your beings are,
Him therefore famous make;
You all created were,
When he the word but spake." -Psalm 148:5 (SMV 1650, 2nd version)

"Let all the creatures praise the name
of our almighty Lord:
For he commanded, and they were
created by his word." -Psalm 148:5 (SMV 1650, 1st version)

That said, the 1650 overall is certainly much better than the 1912, but ongoing work is needed to make a more reliable Psalter.

Unfortunately, a lot of English Psalters have made these mistakes. e.g.,

Psalm 2:1-2 in the Scottish Psalter of 1635
1 Why did the Gentiles tumults raise?
What rage was in their brain?
Why do the people still contrive
a thing that is but vain?
2 The kings and rulers of the earth
conspire and are all bent
Against the Lord, and Christ his Son,
whom he among us sent.

At least one of the selections in the back of the split leaf Scottish Psalter of 1650 edition published by the FCoS adds hallelujahs to the end, though we skipped those when using the selection in the FCC.

There's other translations that can be improved in the 1650 too:

"Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the LORD from the heavens: praise him in the heights." -Psalm 148:1 (KJV 1769)

"The Lord of heav'n confess,
On high his glory raise." -Psalm 148:1 (SMV 1650, 2nd version)

"Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created." -Psalm 148:5 (KJV 1769)

"From God your beings are,
Him therefore famous make;
You all created were,
When he the word but spake." -Psalm 148:5 (SMV 1650, 2nd version)

"Let all the creatures praise the name
of our almighty Lord:
For he commanded, and they were
created by his word." -Psalm 148:5 (SMV 1650, 1st version)

That said, the 1650 overall is certainly much better than the 1912, but ongoing work is needed to make a more reliable Psalter.

I agree that the 1650 SMV is not perfect. I've voiced that before here. Many of the unfavorable choices in it are, as you mentioned, not as bad as some others. I personally take accuracy as more important than singability in the Psalms, so it's something I think about. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back