Psalm 8:5

Discussion in 'Languages' started by John Lanier, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Lanier

John Lanier Puritan Board Junior

First of all, what got me started trying to figure this out was my recent purchase of the Book of Psalms for Worship. Psalm 8:5 in that particular psalter has psalm 8:5 as saying that "you have made him a little lower than God." As far as Bible translations go, here is what they have:

NASB: God
    ESV: Heavenly Beings
    KJV: Angels
    NKJV: Angels

The NKJV has a footnote saying that the Hebrew is God but that the Septuagint and Jewish tradition translate it as angels. Paul in Hebrews 2 when quoting this verse says angels. Paul obviously would have known the Hebrew as well. So did he use a Hebrew manuscript that said "angels" or was he using the LXX?

Are there Hebrew texts that have "angels" instead of God? If not, do we know what the reason was for the transition from God in the Hebrew to Angels in the Greek?

Note: Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I couldn't decide whether to put it here or in translations and manuscripts. You may move it if necessary.

2. Megan Mozart

Megan Mozart Puritan Board Junior

I'm going to add:

Is the word used here "elohim?"

3. John Lanier

From what I could find out in my limited knowledge of languages, the Hebrew word used was "elohim"

4. Wayne

Wayne Tempus faciendi, Domine.

The word is elohim, though with a preposition "mem" prefixed to it.
    Context will be key in rightly understanding the usage here.

Some comparison, from Psalms Chapter 8 - Parallel Hebrew Old Testament
    Modern Hebrew
    ותחסרהו מעט
    מאלהים וכבוד והדר
    תעטרהו׃

Paleo-Hebrew (Before 585 B.C.)
    8:5

[okay, so that didn't copy & paste through]

Hebrew Transliterated
    8:5 VThChSUrHV M'yT M'aLHYM VKBVD VHDUr Th'yTUrHV. [and this transliteration is weird!]

Latin Vulgate
    8:5 minues eum paulo minus a Deo gloria et decore coronabis eum

King James Version
    8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

American Standard Version
    8:5 For thou hast made him but little lower than God, And crownest him with glory and honor.

Bible in Basic English
    8:5 For you have made him only a little lower than the gods, crowning him with glory and honour.

Darby's English Translation
    8:5 Thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and splendour.

Douay Rheims Bible
    8:5 Thou hast made him a little less than the angels, thou hast crowned him with glory and honour:

Noah Webster Bible
    8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honor.

World English Bible
    8:5 For you have made him a little lower than the angels, And crowned him with glory and honor.

Young's Literal Translation
    8:5 And causest him to lack a little of Godhead, And with honour and majesty compassest him.

[that site could have chosen better translations for comparative purposes]

5. BertMulder

BertMulder Puritan Board Junior

Dutch (Statenvertaling):

6 En hebt hem 19een 20weinig minder gemaakt dan de 21engelen, en hebt hem met eer en heerlijkheid gekroond?

21 Hebr. elohim, hetwelk hier beduidt engelen. Zie Hebr. 2:9

basically confirming what was stated above, with reference to Heb. 2:9

6. Nathan Riese

Nathan Riese Puritan Board Freshman

Sidenote: don't be too dogmatic in declaring that it is Paul specifically who authored Hebrews.

What is vital to the reformed hermeneutic?...Scripture interprets Scripture.

Consider this syllogism:

Hebrews is inspired
    Psalms is inspired
    Elohim in its broadest sense can refer to heavenly beings
    Hebrews has angelos
    Angelos are heavenly beings
    Therefore, we should conclude that there is no contradiction, but that they accord just fine, and that Psalm 8:5 refers to angelos.

it is most likely that elohim is the plural form of the root word eloah, so if it is plural, and so are angelos, and they both can refer to heavenly beings, then what is the contradiction? There is none.

And if there is none, then the interpretation should not be made to be "God" or "gods" as is common, but "heavenly beings" or "angels" as the author of Hebrews states it is.

7. John Lanier

Wasn't trying to be dogmatic. I didn't even realize that I said that until you pointed it out. My pastor teaches that it was Paul, so I guess it just came out by habit. Plus our church uses the KJV which has Paul as the author in the subscription. Sorry if I offended you. I can edit the OP if necessary.

8. Nathan Riese

Nathan Riese Puritan Board Freshman

Oops! in retrospect i guess i sounded kind of mean or offended. Nope, not offended at all! I'm inclined to believe it was Paul who authored it, but I just meant to say that I don't think there's a dogmatic case to be made for his authorship. sorry about that! I just meant it in passing as a note :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.