Psalm 79:9

Status
Not open for further replies.

cih1355

Puritan Board Junior
Psalm 79:9 says, "Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of Your name;
And deliver us and forgive our sins for Your name's sake." What is meant by "for the glory of Your name" and "for Your name's sake"?

Verse 10:

Why should the nations say,
"Where is their God?"
Let the avenging of the outpoured blood of your servants
be known among the nations before our eyes!

The psalmist is pleading for God to show His mercy to His people so that His reputation will be upheld among the nations.

"for the glory of Your name" - It would be helpful to understand what the inherent meaning of 'name' is. The word 'name' comes from the Hebrew word shem which literally means breath. Now, there is a cultural difference in understanding the concept of breath. In our culture breath is simply an exchange of air, in the lungs. In Hebrew thought, however, the breath is your character, it is who you are. Your breath is what makes you you. And the reason why I find this SO important to understand is because if you get this wrong, you'll get one of the Ten Commandments totally wrong, namely, "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain." (Ex. 20:7) But before we can make any sense of this commandment, since the "name" is now taken to mean character, we need to consider where we get the words "in vain". Let's look at the word 'vain'. In Hebrew it's the word sh'va. It's the same word used a few verses later, where it says, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." The word 'false' here is the exact same Hebrew word as the word 'vain' mentioned earlier, and 'false' is primarily what the word sh'va means.

So, in Hebrew thought we would read as follows, "You shall not take the character of the LORD your God falsely."

To truly grasp this commandment, we still need to consider one big truth in Genesis 1:27,

"So God created man in his own image..."

So, how this corresponds to the third commandment is, if I say, “I am a child of God,” and steal, I’ve broken that commandment because I’ve represented His character falsely. If I say I am a follower of God, I am His messenger, I am going to teach you about God. But if I turn around and do something against His character, I’ve violated that command.

This all is easily proven right by Proverb 30:9, where it says,

"Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain."

What does stealing have to do with taking God's name in vain??? See?

Now that we know 'name' actually indicates one's character, we may also better understand what it means to baptize in the triune God's "name". Baptism has to do with changing one's character. When one is baptized, his/her character is thoroughly changed. Thus, it makes much more sense to be baptized in the triune God's character than in His name.

As to your question: What is meant by "for the glory of Your name" and "for Your name's sake"?

"for the glory (=holiness revealed - see Isaiah 6:3) of Your character" and "for Your character's sake". Makes perfect sense to me!

The word 'name' comes from the Hebrew word shem which literally means breath.

Was wondering where you found that Hebrew meaning that shem means breath? In Strongs which I use it is #8034 shem lists:

Outline of Biblical Usage 1) name

a) name

b) reputation, fame, glory

c) the Name (as designation of God)

d) memorial, monument

It does not list breath at all.

I also checked out #8034 in my Brown, Diver, Briggs, Gesenius and found nothing that refers shem meaning breath.

Now I know no Hebrew, but am intersted in what Hebrew Lexicon you are using.

Ok I just finished a web search and it also list character. But why does not Strong or Brown, Driver, Briggs not list character?

Ancient Hebrew Word Meanings

Thanks.

The reason why Asaph wants God to save him is because he wants God to show His glory and uphold his reputation. Is this correct?

Is Psalm 79 written by one person or by many people? I was just curious because it is written in the third person.

The word 'name' comes from the Hebrew word shem which literally means breath.

Was wondering where you found that Hebrew meaning that shem means breath? In Strongs which I use it is #8034 shem lists:

Outline of Biblical Usage 1) name

a) name

b) reputation, fame, glory

c) the Name (as designation of God)

d) memorial, monument

It does not list breath at all.

I also checked out #8034 in my Brown, Diver, Briggs, Gesenius and found nothing that refers shem meaning breath.

Now I know no Hebrew, but am intersted in what Hebrew Lexicon you are using.

Ok I just finished a web search and it also list character. But why does not Strong or Brown, Driver, Briggs not list character?

Ancient Hebrew Word Meanings

Thanks.

John,

I get my Hebrew understanding mainly from Ancient Hebrew Research Center (website: Ancient Hebrew Research Center - Home Page) and I use their AHLB (Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible) which is available and FREE for e-Sword, if you have the program (website: MTHB Modules for E-Sword).

First, I have to admit that neither do I know a lot of Hebrew. The way AHLB explains how the Hebrew word shem relates to breath is by pointing to Genesis 2:7, where God is said to breath into man's nostrils the breath (nĕshamah - consider pronunciation!) of life. The AHLB admits shem has diverse meanings, and that only nĕshamah for sure is breath. However, I find it not necessary to go too deep into the grammar of Hebrew language in order to conclude that shem can mean breath - consider the points I made in my previous post:
How do you explain Baptism in the NAME of the Holy Trinity in light of the fact that in Baptism the object's CHARACTER is thoroughly changed into that of the subject's?
How do you explain Proverb 30:9, where stealing is related to taking God’s name in vain?

Thus I believe that the name of an individual, in the Biblical view of things, is more than just an identifier but descriptive of his character.

Last edited:
Verse 10:

Why should the nations say,
"Where is their God?"
Let the avenging of the outpoured blood of your servants
be known among the nations before our eyes!

The psalmist is pleading for God to show His mercy to His people so that His reputation will be upheld among the nations.

Not so far away from todays's situation, I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back