Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
I am trying to do a sermon outline for practice for this Psalm:

7 Will the Lord cast off for ever?

And will he be favourable no more?

8 Is his mercy clean gone for ever?

Doth his promise fail for evermore?

9 Hath God forgotten to be gracious?

Hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah.

There seems to be a split opinion on Asaph's questions here, are they questions that lifted up his spirit because he deemed it impossible for God to be like that?

Calvin: "How can we suppose it possible for God to break off the course of his fatherly favour, when it is considered that he cannot divest himself of his own nature? We see, then, how by an argument drawn from the goodness of God, he repels the assaults of temptation."

Or is Asaph sinking in his weakness here?

Gill on v.10 :"Referring either to what he had said in the preceding verses; and which is to be considered either as checking and correcting himself for what he had said, and acknowledging his evil in it; and it is as if he had said, this is a sin against God, that I am guilty of in questioning his love, and disbelieving his promises; it is an iniquity I am prone unto, a sin that easily besets me;"

Henry : "This is the language of a disconsolate deserted soul, walking in darkness and having no light,.."

---

I am split between both, but am tending towards the earlier view, where v.7-9 is the start of his 'recovery', he fought to say No to these questions, and that leads to his confession in v.10.

What say you all brethren?

I think there is something edifying to be gleaned from a 3 of the views. I do not see them as being polar opposites.

This is a very humbling prayer to read. I believe Asaph was asking those questions because he was acknowledging his faith was being stretched thin in a moment (very honest). However in his prayer he also illustrates that he did not stay in despair (v.10). So even if those realities were not true at the exact time he said the prayer, Asaph is acknowledging his struggles (past or present) in his faith before is maker. Therefore, let us learn first an foremost, that when we encounter a waning faith...let us go to our knees before our Lord and remind ourselves of his promises and that he is Lord of ALL creation. When we doubt let us remind ourselves, as Asaph does, of the faithfulness of God to keep his covenants.:detective::2cents:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back