Psalm 23 in the Septuagint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elimelek

Puritan Board Freshman
Dear friends

It is often interesting to see how early translators of the Bible text interpreted a specific text. In the Septuagint, psalm 22, our psalm 23 reads as follows:

A psalm of David
1. The Lord shepherds me; and there shall be nothing lacking for me.
2. Into a place of green grass, there he has pitched my tent, on the water of repose he has fed me.
3. He has restored my soul;
he has guided me on the paths of righteousness,
for the sake of his name.
4. For even though I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I shall not fear evil, for you are with me;
your stick and you rod, these have comforted me.
5. You have prepared before me a table, over against those who afflict me. You have anointed my head with oil;
your cup is making me drunk, like the very best.
6. Your mercy shall pursue me, all the days of my life;
and my dwelling, in the house of the Lord,
for length of days.

This translation has been done by Nicholas King. I find it difficult to translate Greek and Hebrew into English. His translation is very literal.

One part of the translation that stands out is "your cup is making me drunk, like the very best." In the Old Testament drunkenness always has a negative meaning, except in Ecclesiastes. However, the translator of the Septuagint interprets it in a positive way to show the abundance of the Lord's provision. The only other place in the Bible, that I can recall where there is a vague positive meaning to people becoming drunk, is John 2:1-12, where Jesus changes water into wine. This made me think... the early Greek Christians used the Septuagint as their translation of the Old Testament. John 2 is describing the first of Jesus' signs (miracles) in this gospel. (John only relates seven miracles and calls them signs, as each reveal something about who Jesus is.) Is there maybe a link between Psalm 23 in the Septuagint and John 2? If so, Jesus is revealed as the good host - he actually switches roles with the real host - and gives the best wine. Am I off track or is this interpretation plausible?

Kind regards

"Thy cup cheers me like the best wine" is perhaps something a baptist fundie would translate as getting drunk. I'd take that translation with a bit of salt.

Groete
Tim (former APK, now OPC)

Brenton's translation of the largely Septuagint agrees with King's translation.

1. The Lord tends me as a shepherd, and I shall want nothing.
2. In a place of green grass, there he has made me dwell: he has nourished me by the water of rest.
3. He has restored my soul; he has guided me into paths of righteousness, for his name sake.
4. Yea, even is I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death I will not be afraid of evils: for thou art with me; thy rod and staff, these have comforted me.
5. Thou has prepared a table before me in the presence of them that afflict me; thou has thoroughly anointed my head with oil; and thy cup cheers me like the best wine.
6.Thy mercy also shall follow me all the days of my life: and my dwelling shall be in the house of the Lord for a very long time.

I can't offer insight into the languages, but I love to discuss the meaning of Bible texts.

My first thought is that there isn't enough evidence to put forward a direct link between Psalm 23 and John 2. But they do both speak of the abundance of God's blessings, with plentiful wine as a common sign of that abundance.

I very much agree that Jesus is revealed in John 2 to be the good host, the real and ultimate host. This is why the wedding host's comments are brought out. From here, I suppose I might look back to Psalm 23:5. But I'm more inclined to look forward, to the wedding feast of the Lamb. John's first "sign" shows that Jesus has come, ultimately, to bring feasting with himself back into our world. It is spectacularly heady feasting, like the very best wine.

Hi Thomas, Jack and Martin

Jack, you're probably right about the two texts not directly related. Yet it is interesting that the early Christians (at least those had a part in the writing of the Bible,) knew the Septuagint by heart. It is often quoted in the New Testament.

It is just striking to me, that there are two places (that I could find in the Bible) that has a positive stance towards alcohol (excluding Ecclesiastes). I wonder how much the Old Testament (especially the Septuagint) influence the lives of the early Christians. It was their Holy Scripture.

Kind regards

It is just striking to me, that there are two places (that I could find in the Bible) that has a positive stance towards alcohol (excluding Ecclesiastes).

You should read the link in Martin's post (it is to another post here on the PB). You would be surprised by the number of references, the thoroughness of the research, and the soundness of the logic. I found it very beneficial, and if you have only found two places where there is a positive stance toward alcohol in scripture, you have been misled as to the text. Being drunk is not okay, there is ample text for moderation and not being drunk. But there is also plenty of texts to support moderate use of alcohol in scripture.

Hi Brian

When I click on the link I receive the following message "Elimelek, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons: ..." I would like to read it.

Kind regards

Two places? Where do you come up with that? When Judah's blessing is that his eyes will be red with wine, do you see that as a curse?

Tim, its clear that I am not correct when it comes to my remarks above. There might and it seems there are more places in the Bible that has a positive stance on drinking or drunkenness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back