Psalm 139

Status
Not open for further replies.
My exegesis of this Psalm: Before the Face of God :D

Very well done, and very edifying. I would have liked to have seen some interaction with E. J. Young's little book on that psalm (since you listed it in your bibliography).

You seem to like Patrick Miller's volume.

Have you seen Samuel Terrien's massive work? If you have, what do you think of it?

Again - a very good job on Psalm 139.

Very well done, and very edifying. I would have liked to have seen some interaction with E. J. Young's little book on that psalm (since you listed it in your bibliography).

You seem to like Patrick Miller's volume.

Have you seen Samuel Terrien's massive work? If you have, what do you think of it?

Again - a very good job on Psalm 139.
Thanks, brother. :) Yeah, I could have done more with Young's book . . and Miller's book was kind of a short commentary, or just a collection of thoughts, on something like eight Psalms . . I don't think I'd buy it. I haven't seen Terrien's work.

Casey, thanks for sharing your labors with us. I hope you've had a chance to preach this. I believe we need more preaching from the Psalms.

I'm a huge Kidner fan and I'm glad you used him. What about Henry & Plummer? I love the puritan style of exposition; which was focused on the theology and application of the text. Also, for preaching, I've been very blessed by some of Alexander Maclaren's messages from the EB series. I think they are good examples of good preaching from the Psalms. Have you read him at all?

Press On,

...I've been very blessed by some of Alexander Maclaren's messages from the EB series. I think they are good examples of good preaching from the Psalms. Have you read him at all?

Maclaren's commentary on the Psalms was published in 3 volumes in 1893-1894 (as I'm sure you know) and, according to the Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology, are still considered to be "a fine piece of scholarship" (p. 526).

By the way, Maclaren's entire 32-volume Expositions of Holy Scripture (originally published from 1904 to 1910) is available on a CD-ROM from www.ageslibrary.com. Neato-Jet (as we used to say in junior high school back in the 1960s)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back