Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
Psalm 13
To the chief Musician,
A Psalm of David.
Here we have the Psalmist sowing in tears, but reaping in joy. Observe, (1.) His extreme distress, occasioned by God's apparent unkindness, and by inward anguish of soul, and the insolence of enemies, ver. 1-2. (2.) His fervent supplications that God would consider his case, strengthen his faith, direct his goings, and comfort his heart, ver. 3-4. (3.) Sudden deliverance, flowing from a fixed trust in God, and inducing to a triumphant joy in him, ver 5-6.

Think, my soul, how divine withdrawments, sensibly perceived, sting a renewed heart! How changeable the saints' spiritual frames are, while they continue in this world. Weeping endures for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. And behold, how quickly the prayers of faith are answered, and its expectations fulfilled!

1 How long wilt thou forget me, Lord?
shall it for ever be?
O how long shall it be that thou
wilt hide thy face from me?

2 How long take counsel in my soul,
still sad in heart, shall I?
How long exalted over me
shall be mine enemy?

3 O Lord my God, consider well,
and answer to me make:
Mine eyes enlighten, lest the sleep
of death me overtake:

4 Lest that mine enemy should say,
Against him I prevail'd;
And those that trouble me rejoice,
when I am mov'd and fail'd.

5 But I have all my confidence
thy mercy set upon;
My heart within me shall rejoice
in thy salvation.

6 I will unto the Lord my God
sing praises cheerfully,
Because he hath his bounty shown
to me abundantly.

John Willison on v. 6:

Verse 6. "I will sing unto the Lord, because he hath dealt bountifully with me." Faith keeps the soul from sinking under heavy trials, by bringing in former experiences of the power, mercy, and faithfulness of God to the afflicted soul. Hereby was the psalmist supported in distress. Oh, saith faith, remember what God hath done both for thy outward and inward man: he hath not only delivered thy body when in trouble, but he hath done great things for thy soul; he hath brought thee out of a state of black nature, entered into a covenant relation with thee, made his goodness pass before thee; he hath helped thee to pray, and many times hath heard thy prayers and thy tears. Hath he not formerly brought thee out of the horrible pit, and out of the miry clay, and put a new song in thy mouth, and made thee to resolve never to give way to such unbelieving thoughts and fears again? and how unbecoming is it for thee now to sink in trouble? John Willison, 1680-1750.

John Bunyan on v. 6:

Verse 6. " I will sing unto the Lord," etc. I never knew what it was for God to stand by me at all turns, and at every offer of Satan to afflict me, etc., as I have found him since I came in hither; for look how fears have presented themselves, so have supports and encouragements; yea, when I have started, even as it were at nothing else but my shadow, yet God, as being very tender to me, hath not suffered me to be molested, but would with one Scripture or another, strengthen me against all; insomuch that I have often said, Were it lawful, I could pray for greater trouble, for the greater comfort's sake. Ecclesiastes 7:14; 2 Corinthians 1:5. John Bunyan, 1628-1688.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back