Psalm 126

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird0827

PuritanBoard Honor Roll
A Song of Degrees.
"This psalm relates to some remarkable deliverance of the Jewish church, perhaps from Babylon, as typical of those of the gospel church; and, (1.) Represents great admiration of, and thankfulness for the deliverance, ver. 1-3. (2.) Contains prayers for, and encouragement to saints exercised with tribulations, ver. 4-6.

"While I sing, let me admire the Lord's kindness to my country, to his gospel church ­ to mankind ­ to my soul. And, in my remaining distress, personal or relative, let me sow in mourning and supplication, that I may through grace reap joyful deliverances, and everlasting consolations."
[align=center]-- John Brown of Haddington
[/align]

1 When Sion's bondage God turn'd back,
as men that dream'd were we.
2 Then fill'd with laughter was our mouth,
our tongue with melody:

They 'mong the heathen said, The Lord
great things for them hath wrought.
3 The Lord hath done great things for us,
whence joy to us is brought.

4 As streams of water in the south,
our bondage, Lord, recall.
5 Who sow in tears, a reaping time
of joy enjoy they shall.

6 That man who, bearing precious seed,
in going forth doth mourn,
He doubtless, bringing back his sheaves,
rejoicing shall return.

Scottish Metrical Psalter

Recommended tune: Abbey - attached.

JJS

[Edited on 7-16-2006 by jaybird0827]

There is reason to think this psalm was penned by Ezra, whose book Pastor Dilday just completed reading and expounding yesterday. He also had occasion to teach us concerning the Beatitudes, including this text:

Matt. 5.4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. (compare with Ps. 126.5).

Praise God for the marvelous deliverances he has afforded to his people in times past, his faithfulness which endures forever, and his compassions which are new every morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back