Psalm 119 Traditions or Art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
I've gotten into a habit in my devotion times of reading a section of Psalm 119 every morning. I'm finding this deeply helpful and beneficial, and am falling in love with the Psalm. Do you guys know of any traditions, either Christian or Jewish, that have developed around Psalm 119? I have Spurgeon and Bridges commentaries on the psalm and love reading them when I can. Also, do you guys know of any artwork depicting the entirety of the psalm? I did some searching but didn't find anything on a surface search - but I may not be searching correctly.

Thanks for you thoughts and help!

I would be hesitant to use images to depict what the Lord has seen fit to communicate only in words.

Jacob,
I too love Psalm 119! It is refreshing to meditate on the wisdom of God as written by the inspired pen of David. Instead of looking for artwork I might suggest utilizing the Psalm during an early morning walk. Meditate on the words in the Psalm as you enjoy the world that was created out of nothing in the space of six days by the Lord God! Take the Psalms and inspect your life and heart to see if you are living up to the principles that are contained therein. I do this and am humbled each day by my failures and this causes me to look more to Christ! He is our great Deliverer and the Author and Finisher of our Faith!

May the Lord enrich your heart and mind with His truth.

Tim, I appreciate your reply, however I think you've misunderstood my question. Artwork does not negate the use of words - or their preservation - in the pieces themselves. I was thinking specifically of pieces that would decorate the words of Scripture in beautiful ways, not throwout the words, much in the same illuminations tradition of the church.

David, thank you for your thoughts - much along the lines of what I'm doing already, but I like the idea of the walk! Wilberforce recited Psalm 119 every morning on his walk to work - might be something to utilize in our new neighborhood! My question is more in the lines of Deuteronomy 6:9, writing the word of God on the walls of our house.

Jacob, there is a company which makes vinyl lettering that looks very much like brush painted script. It is easy to apply and remove. I will look through out files to find it if you like. They have some verses already done, but if I remember right also do custom things. Some of their pieces are also embellished with tasteful graphics as well.

I'm not sure. I'll have to find the name of the company. It has been a while.

Edit: Here is one that is similar. http://www.wallpraise.com/ They don't seem to have the embellishments, but the script is similar. Uppercase Living is another one.

Tim, I appreciate your reply, however I think you've misunderstood my question. Artwork does not negate the use of words - or their preservation - in the pieces themselves. I was thinking specifically of pieces that would decorate the words of Scripture in beautiful ways, not throwout the words, much in the same illuminations tradition of the church.

Yes, it is quite possible that I have misunderstood you.

I remember being told when I was little how some famous Christian as a penniless boy earned his first Bible from a pastor by memorising the whole of psalm 119. It might have been someone like David Livingstone but I'm not certain. The story always stuck in my mind and years later made me sure that in finding the psalm repetitive and uphill I had to be missing something..... sure enough through God's grace I've come to love it. The whole of the Christian walk is there, the tension between striving to please God, and knowing that only his love can make me pleasing to him.

I don't think Psalm 119 could be put into a piece of artwork because it is too broad, unless you painted a picture of a scroll and called it Psalm 119. Maybe a certain aspect/part or perspective could be captured. I remember Wilberforce quoted this psalm everyday on his way to work in Parliament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back