Psalm 119 Commentary with a devotional style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Presbyterian

Puritan Board Doctor
Are any of you dear brethren aware of a commentary, with a devotional style, that has been written about Psalm 119? I have a couple of commentaries on the Psalms as a whole, but am wondering if anything is in existence that deals singularly with Psalm 119 itself.

Blessings,

Are any of you dear brethren aware of a commentary, with a devotional style, that has been written about Psalm 119? I have a couple of commentaries on the Psalms as a whole, but am wondering if anything is in existence that deals singularly with Psalm 119 itself.

Blessings,

Manton's work from the Geneva series on Ps. 119 is invaluable, if you can get a copy, though I don't think that's necessarily what you're looking for as a "devotional" commentary. I couldn't more highly recommend it though. It's volumes 6-8 of his collected works.

Charles Bridges has a volume on Psalm 119 that is probably more akin to the flavor you seek - it's also very good.

Finally, Hywel Jones has a recently released volume that is perhaps the one most devotional in nature.

My guess is you'll resonate most with the Manton, James - but all three might serve you well.

Psalms: An Expositional Commentary by James Montgomery Boice; 3 volumes (Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1994-1998). Boice (1938-2000) was Senior Pastor of Tenth Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from 1968 until his death. He preached through the entire Book of Psalms at the church from the winter of 1989 through the summer of 1997 (about 7-1/2 years). His exposition is very devotional in tone, and very helpful. The volumes are available in paperback now. His exposition of Psalm 119 is in volume 3. Highly recommended.

And, of course, you can always consult my blog on Psalm 119. It's the third one listed below my name.

Spurgeon's The Golden Alphabet is also good.

Precisely what I was going to recommend. It's exactly along the devotional style without being overly verbose or light on each verse. Manton is obviously good, but a 15-20 sermon on each verse is a bit much to work through for devotional purposes I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back