Psalm 1:3 what tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
In Psalm 1:3 it reads:
And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
Are there any commentaries that speculate what kind of tree the psalmist would likely have had in view? Not anything exegetical I guess but just a question that struck my mind this AM.

I have no idea what the commentaries say, but having grown up in a place (and now I live) where there were a lot of "trees planted by the rivers of water" I always took it to be a generic example. Any time you plant a tree near water, it flourishes, even in times of drought.

It's obviously a fruit-bearing tree of some kind: maybe fig or pomegranate, as those seem to have been widely spread?

Phoenix dactylifera. (Date Palm). ;)

I'm only speculating, of course. But I can say that sitting under the shade of mature date palms by a river running through the middle of the desert, and eating fresh dates, is a pretty good feeling. It probably would seem like the best that physical life had to offer to someone who has been out in the hot sun herding sheep and goats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back