Proverbs 8, Wisdom is Christ or Spirit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kceaster

Puritan Board Junior
I have read commentaries pointing to the 2nd and 3rd Persons of the Trinity regarding the personification of wisdom. I would like to know some other opinions.

Is wisdom in Proverbs 8, Christ or the Spirit, or perhaps warrants another interpretation?

Thanks in advance.

In Christ,

KC

You want other opinions? There is a church in Philly that worships sofia, the goddess of wisdom in proverbs 8. Feminine noun and all that...neither Christ or the HS but the feminine goddess. :p

Just so you know what's out there :)

You want other opinions? There is a church in Philly that worships sofia, the goddess of wisdom in proverbs 8. Feminine noun and all that...neither Christ or the HS but the feminine goddess. :p

Just so you know what's out there :)

Yeah, I guess I should have qualified that... thanks for keeping me on my toes.

How about just limiting it to Reformed opinions?

In Christ,

KC

I think it clearly points to Christ, but it also gives a glimpse into the workings of the Holy Trinity.

Particularly the references to words: "For my mouth shall speak truth"; "All the words of my mouth are in righteousness"--these point to the Word that existed before the beginning.

The passage "When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth: Then I was by him. . . ." brings to mind the Spirit hovering or brooding over the waters. We note that in the Creation passage, the Spirit is depicted as an active agent. Tie that with these words: "That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures," and I think we see the Spirit carrying out what Wisdom seeks to be caused.

And we know that God is one, and the Trinity purposes to act as one. It doesn't seem profitable to try to segregate that integration. As we see elsewhere, the Word is Christ, and the Word is a two-edged sword that cuts or convicts. We also know the Spirit convicts. But we wouldn't say, then, that the Word is the Spirit and not Christ.

And we know that God is one, and the Trinity purposes to act as one. It doesn't seem profitable to try to segregate that integration. As we see elsewhere, the Word is Christ, and the Word is a two-edged sword that cuts or convicts. We also know the Spirit convicts. But we wouldn't say, then, that the Word is the Spirit and not Christ.

Yeah, I agree. The reason I asked is because commentators think two different things and wanted to hear the arguments either way.

Blessings,

KC

I think Bruce Waltke (2 vol. commentary, WBC) analyzes the question very well.

He points out that Dame Wisdom and Dame Folly are presented as antitheses, and often juxtaposed especially in the early chs. of Proverbs.

He would say (and I agree) that we are better off realizing Dame Wisdom there as a type, which has its fulfillment in Christ, "the Power of God and the Wisdom of God."

What Solomon's poetry can only begin to point to, is fully developed in Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back