Proverbs 31 - Ideal Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanZealot

Puritan Board Freshman
I was reading the Proverbs 31 thread (which has been closed) and thought I should throw my ten pence in.
I had a word from God whilst praying the other day that it could actually symbolically also refer to the Church. Just as it is a checklist of the ideal wife for a young man, and we the Church are the bride of Christ I read it symbolically as some kind of subtle hints as to the way the Church works and how the ideal Christian acts as well.
I wrote a sermon/commentary on it, dealing with each verse and interpreting it for the Christian and the Church, makes a lot of sense actually.
Just thought I'd say! No one else thought that before?

According to the Confession you subscribe, the only word from God we have available is Scripture itself.

The Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience, although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men inexcusable; yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God and his will which is necessary unto salvation. Therefore it pleased the Lord at sundry times and in divers manners to reveal himself, and to declare that his will unto his church; and afterward for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan, and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing; which maketh the Holy Scriptures to be most necessary, those former ways of God's revealing his will unto his people being now ceased.

So I'm a little intrigued what you mean by saying that you "had a word from God".

'Had a word from God' as in I was praying and thought about the link between man and wife, Christ and Church, etc. Not that a 'voice from God boomed from the heavens' or anything. I just thought it was an interesting parallel, not that that's what the scripture is intended to mean. I'll keep the more bizarre thoughts to myself from now on then!!

I appreciate the clarification. It is unfortunate that that phrase has been hijacked by the TBN types to mean "Thus saith the Lord."

Like the guys who say 'God says' and you say 'what, where does it say that in the Bible' and the say 'he told me, the other night when i was praying'. And you stand staring at each other then have to ask, 'how do you know it was God?' and they say 'dunno just had a feeling'. You want to slowly back out of the room like a deer thats seen the hunter.

Yes, given how the Bible and the Charismatics use the concept of a word from God it does seem better not to use that phrase to refer to the results of our own meditation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back