Protestant Acceptance of Thomas Aquinas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strachan is a faculty member of a theological seminary in Conway, Arkansas. If these tweets are examples of the quality of his theological thinking, I'm nervous for that school's students. Here's hoping he's better when he's not on Twitter.

He's far from perfect, that's true. But I still have more confidence in him than I do in you. And I think you would do well to learn some things from him.

He's far from perfect, that's true. But I still have more confidence in him than I do in you. And I think you would do well to learn some things from him.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard, author of Conan the Barbarian.

Just an observation.

I think Strachan is reacting to a growing trend in Reformed circles that embraces Thomas too readily without giving sufficient heed to some of the serious problems in his doctrine. How he chose to express that on Twitter lacked nuance. However, I do find the trend toward Thomism troubling, and I'm happy to see some are pushing back.
This is a very interesting discussion. As an ex-RCC, reading Augustine and having brief exposure to other Catholic theologians like Thomas (and on the Protestant side Luther and his Bondage of the Will), their doctrines of predestination helped me accept Calvinism as having deep church roots. On the other hand, I’m not sure being a Thomist is as compatible with being a Calvinist as some make it ought to be. Fortunately, today’s RCC has gone so semi-pelagian that I don’t see an embrace of Thomism as the road back to Rome. It’s nowhere to be found there except maybe the sacraments and that’s the area that Protestants who flirt with Thomism are pretty lukewarm on obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back