Proper Administration of the Sacraments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theoretical

Puritan Board Professor
For both Baptism and the Lord's Supper, what are the indicators of these sacraments being practiced properly, rather than irregularly, albeit legitimately?

Below I'm starting with what seem to be the bare minimum:

For Baptism, two requirements seem to be musts, Trinitarian formula and actual water.

For the Lord's Supper, unleavened bread and the juice of grapes are required (i.e. we can have a debate over wine vs. Welch's, but not wine vs. apple juice), as is a warning to the assembled that they should not partake of this sacrament unworthily and especially not in unbelief.

I guess what I'm trying to ask are those things about what is meant in the Belgic Confession and other confessional statements about the need for the pure administration of the sacraments. Some things seem obvious, while others are less clear to this student of the Word. I am interested to hear both the additional components of pure administration and of irregular adminstration.

For both Baptism and the Lord's Supper, what are the indicators of these sacraments being practiced properly, rather than irregularly, albeit legitimately?

Below I'm starting with what seem to be the bare minimum:

For Baptism, two requirements seem to be musts, Trinitarian formula and actual water.

For the Lord's Supper, unleavened bread and the juice of grapes are required (i.e. we can have a debate over wine vs. Welch's, but not wine vs. apple juice), as is a warning to the assembled that they should not partake of this sacrament unworthily and especially not in unbelief.

I guess what I'm trying to ask are those things about what is meant in the Belgic Confession and other confessional statements about the need for the pure administration of the sacraments. Some things seem obvious, while others are less clear to this student of the Word. I am interested to hear both the additional components of pure administration and of irregular adminstration.

I would say that baptism of the children of believers is part of the regular administration of baptism. Refusing to circumcise covenant children in the old covenant was seen as a serious sin and offense to God, punishable by death, even!

And the Supper ought never be administered apart from the pure preaching of law and gospel.

I'm not convinced 'cracker bread' is necessary if that's what you meant. I'm not sure about this but the leaven spoken of in the OT was what we know today as sour dough, not yeast. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
No, I did not mean cracker bread, as from what I've learned on the subject, the leaven was a rather disgusting, bacteria-filled, practically rotten piece of dough nonetheless used to continue the bread batch.

I guess what I was asking is what this command for the right administration of sacraments really means, as I'm still very unsure of it.

administration only by ordained male clergy,

properly fenced table,

orthodox view of covenants and their signs etc,

in short, a sacramentology within the teachings of the confessions.

Have I missed anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back