Progressive Dispensationalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know anything about Progressive Dispensationalism and its efforts to converge with Covenantal Theology?

I commend their efforts. Some of them are outstanding scholars and leaders in their field. Darrell Bock, for example.

They abandon a lot of the silliness that characterized earlier dispensational models. Often, they sound just like covenant theologians when it come to already-not yet.

I still think some of their points are underdeveloped, but I am encouraged on the whole. The following are the standard works.

This is the place to start.
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-...?keywords=blaising+bock&qid=1581991345&sr=8-1

This is a bit more technical, but the essays are top notch and it has some Reformed responses.
https://www.amazon.com/Dispensation...?keywords=blaising+bock&qid=1581991345&sr=8-3

Does anyone know anything about Progressive Dispensationalism and its efforts to converge with Covenantal Theology?
Having coming out of dispensationalism, like many here, I know a bit about it. However, its superficial appearance of a "convergence" with covenant theology is overstated.

These are the "one-people-of-God" dispensationalists?

Yes. They reject the old Scofieldian views. One way of salvation, one people of God.
It gets a bit tricky here because the John MacArthur dispensationists also hold to one people of God with respect to salvation - they have a Calvinistic framework. Those who are influenced by MacArthur tend to hold a problematic tension in their theology, I believe. In their view God has one plan of salvation, one elect people of God, but he still has different purposes for Israel and the Church. :scratch:

It gets a bit tricky here because the John MacArthur dispensationists also hold to one people of God with respect to salvation - they have a Calvinistic framework. Those who are influenced by MacArthur tend to hold a problematic tension in their theology, I believe. In their view God has one plan of salvation, one elect people of God, but he still has different purposes for Israel and the Church. :scratch:

That's about right. They would say--and this is correct at one level--that our unity in Christ doesn't erase distinctions. Male and female are one in Christ, but they still have male and female characteristics. They aren't hermaphrodites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back