Prog Rock fans: New Neal Morse Album

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobVigneault

Bawberator
Hey Brad, Jason and other prog rock fans. I'm not sure if we discussed this yet. Here is the description of Neal Morse's latest offering. Sounds wonderful and I'm looking for to hearing it. Has anyone else heard this album yet?

From his site:

Neal Morse – Sola Scriptura

Neal Morse’s controversial new album’s title “Sola Scriptura” (which means “Only By Scripture” in Latin) is as interesting and provocative as the music itself. Featuring Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater and the riveting guitar work of Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big), this album is huge in scope and sound! Filled with incredible melodies, cascading guitar and keyboards and all the great composition this ex Spock’s Beard leader is known for, “Sola Scriptura” reaches beyond what one would think possible in a progressive rock epic.
Lyrically it draws on the life of Martin Luther, the Christian reformer who lived in the early 1500s. (He’s the one who nailed the 95 theses on the door of the Cathedral in Germany and rocked the entire world at the time.) “I tried to imagine what it must have been like to go up against corruption in high places and risk life and limb for what you believe is right” says Morse. Will this album be controversial? Surely. But Morse has never been one to draw away from a challenge.

Musically it’s as hard hitting and intricately beautiful as Morse’s best work. With 3 long pieces (the longest clocking in at 29 minutes!) and one shorter ballad, this has all of Morse’s trademark moments and the addition of Paul Gilbert’s blistering guitar work puts it over the top.

Morse says “I felt as a Christian I should make this album and point out to people that may have forgotten how the church fell away from righteousness in the Dark Ages. The point of it is to point us toward God and his truth and where the church still may have darkness in it, to point her toward the light of God's truth which is laid out wonderfully before us in the scriptures. Of course, this is a lofty goal for a mere CD, but, with God anything is possible!”

rr240_sola_scriptura.jpg

For more info or to order, click here

You should have seen the outrage this caused on Neal's message board (before it got shut down for completely unrelated reasons). Apparently Martin Luther is now a politically correct no-no. Reviewers have even questioned whether Morse is an anti-Semite for writing this. I guess all of us here must be anti-Semites since we still read and appreciate Luther's works...

I will say, for a guy who's fan base is overwhelmingly unbelievers, Morse is not afraid to put what he believes into his music. He's not just using Christianity as a marketing scheme. I've heard a lot of fans say "I won't listen to that Jesus music. I hate getting preached at," but a lot of non-Christian fans have stuck with him. Of course, these same people will listen to atheists, existentialists, and satanists "preach" what they believe in and don't get offended. Only the gospel really offends!

I've really only heard good things from other fans who have the CD, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Thanks for that revelation Brad. When the site said 'controversial' I assumed that his Catholic fans would have been offended by the 'Wild Boar in the vineyard'. I didn't think it was because Luther is being recast as an anti-semite. Fascinating. :handshake:

I haven't heard of this guy and I haven't heard any of his music. Anybody got a link to a sampling?

http://www.nealmorse.com/audio.asp

The link to his website only has stuff from his solo albums. He formerly fronted the band Spock's Beard, and was in the prog "supergroup" Transatlantic. He became a Christian some years back and subsequently decided that God did not want him to make "secular" music. I've always been a little skeptical of this event, since he always phrases it as if God spoke to him directly.

I actually prefer his "secular" music to his "Christian" music. I would recommend Spock's Beard, or especially Transatlantic's second album Bridge Across Forever if you want his finest work. Bob is more familiar with his recent Christian works than I am. Many consider him the man when it comes to modern prog.

http://www.nealmorse.com/audio.asp

The link to his website only has stuff from his solo albums. He formerly fronted the band Spock's Beard, and was in the prog "supergroup" Transatlantic. He became a Christian some years back and subsequently decided that God did not want him to make "secular" music. I've always been a little skeptical of this event, since he always phrases it as if God spoke to him directly.

I actually prefer his "secular" music to his "Christian" music. I would recommend Spock's Beard, or especially Transatlantic's second album Bridge Across Forever if you want his finest work. Bob is more familiar with his recent Christian works than I am. Many consider him the man when it comes to modern prog.

Thanks Brad. I'll take a listen.

A friend of mine at church just gave it to me. I had no idea who this guy was. I didn't know it was Paul Gilbert playing but I liked the guys command on the guitar being a guitar teacher myself. BUt I liked it. If your into prof rock it's cool. I don't listen to this kind of music much anymore these days (years?!) but I liked it. I thought it was all instrumental then about 9 minutes or so into the first piece singing starts. I was listening to Segovia doing Bach earlier in the week & the Assad Brothers doing Remeau so this was a departure from that. I'll listen to it a few more times. Made me want to crank up my BC RIch & let it rip.:D

I bought the cd. I've been enjoying it. He does a pretty good job with the story line. The music is much like his other stuff. He almost follows a formula.

I've never heard any of his other stuff so I can't really say. Did enjoy that one though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back