Producing Music

Is it okay for a Christian songwriter to sell his instrumental music to non-Christians?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

blvck2gold

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings fellow pilgrims,

I was wondering, and wanted to get some well rounded reformed advice on the subject of music. Specifically on the subject of producing it, instrumentals that is. Would it be okay for a Christian to produce instrumentals as a means of income? The reason I ask this is because I am aware of the possibility of someone buying an instrumental and creating a song that has nothing to do with glorifying God. At the moment i'm seeing it no different than if I were selling food, that runs the risk of somebody overeating. Or selling steak knives, that runs the risk of somebody killing someone else in cold blood, etc. You get my point. I can't control what anybody does with what I give/sell them. Am I looking at this right? Advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, blessings.

Hi Tony, generally speaking I can’t see any problem with this. Am I understanding your concern to be that someone may put ungodly lyrics to your instrumental music? (which, without your permission, would be against copyright laws of course). Or are you producing the music to sell to potential songwriters?

Hi Tony, generally speaking I can’t see any problem with this. Am I understanding your concern to be that someone may put ungodly lyrics to your instrumental music? (which, without your permission, would be against copyright laws of course). Or are you producing the music to sell to potential songwriters?
Well I would be selling the music to potential songwriters

I see. A dilemma I’ve never considered before! You may want to change the title of your poll to draw more interest- something like “sell instrumental music to non-Christian songwriters?” or at least edit to clarify the dilemma in your OP. I’ll participate in your poll if you can clarify it; let us know if you need help editing.

I see. A dilemma I’ve never considered before! You may want to change the title of your poll to draw more interest- something like “sell instrumental music to non-Christian songwriters?” or at least edit to clarify the dilemma in your OP. I’ll participate in your poll if you can clarify it; let us know if you need help editing.
thanks for the advice on editing the poll, it does need to be more specifi . I liked your idea for the title, I tried changing it by going to 'edit' but it wouldn't let me change the title.

thanks for the advice on editing the poll, it does need to be more specifi . I liked your idea for the title, I tried changing it by going to 'edit' but it wouldn't let me change the title.
I fixed it, think it’s clearer. I didn’t answer the poll, because as it is I’d have to say no, but it would really depend. I couldn’t conscientiously sell music I’d written to anyone who would be pairing it with ungodly words. I don’t think you’re overthinking it, if you’re personally struggling with this.

I fixed it, think it’s clearer. I didn’t answer the poll, because as it is I’d have to say no, but it would really depend. I couldn’t conscientiously sell music I’d written to anyone who would be pairing it with ungodly words. I don’t think you’re overthinking it, if you’re personally struggling with this.
Thank you. I don't think I'm going to attempt this, at least not any time soon. I'm still just as unsure as before lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back