Pro-Psalter Articles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
I am looking for articles that make a positive case that we should sing Psalms. I don't care if it is from EP or Non-EP perspective. But I am emphatically not looking for articles that assume we are to sing the Psalms and then set out to attack the singing of everything else. I want articles that don't take the Psalms place in the church's repertoire for granted, but rather set out the Biblical case why we must sing Psalms, and explain what the benefits of it are.

Thanks very much!

I am looking for articles that make a positive case that we should sing Psalms. I don't care if it is from EP or Non-EP perspective. But I am emphatically not looking for articles that assume we are to sing the Psalms and then set out to attack the singing of everything else. I want articles that don't take the Psalms place in the church's repertoire for granted, but rather set out the Biblical case why we must sing Psalms, and explain what the benefits of it are.

Thanks very much!
:ditto: Add me in to this request too, as I would like to start a discussion with my church about us at least adding psalms to worship.

There are a variety of works which treat both the duty to sing psalms and the spiritual benefit of singing the psalms, some of which are found in this thread. I'm not sure if these will meet your criteria fully or not, but here are a few specific online articles that came to my mind, Reuben:

Terry Johnson, Why Sing the Psalms?

Thomas Ford, The Singing of Psalms the Duty of Christians Under the New Testament

William Romaine, An Essay on Psalmody

John Gill, A Discourse on Singing of Psalms as a Part of Divine Worship

John Calvin, Preface to the Genevan Psalter

John Keddie, Sing the Lord's Song

E.S. McKitrick, Christ in the Psalms (excerpt from John McNaugher's The Psalms in Worship, a very highly recommended book)

Thanks, Andrew. I am preparing a little talk on why we must sing the Psalms, and wanted some input to make sure I didn't pass over some vitally important angle. The links look good and I will hop right on them.

The position paper by the PCA in 1993 is good. This paper is especially useful for the PCA member who wants at least some Psalms to be sung every Lords Day. The denomination encourages it!

The paper has six recommendations at the end. One recommendation is:
That congregations be encouraged to sing at least one Psalm at each of their services.

GOOD LUCK! :sing:

The position paper by the PCA in 1993 is good. This paper is especially useful for the PCA member who wants at least some Psalms to be sung every Lords Day. The denomination encourages it!

The paper has six recommendations at the end. One recommendation is:

GOOD LUCK! :sing:
Very nice, Joe. Having a PCA position paper hopefully will be of value in this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back