Private Conversations and the Gospels (and Acts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was thinking about how certain private conversations would have been written in the gospel accounts (e.g., Jesus and Pilate and Jesus praying in the garden). How do you think that they recorded these? And more importantly, how would they have known about them? I think the easiest solution is that Jesus probably just told them about it post-ascension.

But you also have, for instance, the Sanhedrin in Acts, where Gamaliel talks about how if this messianic movement is of God, then it wouldn't die.

Thoughts?

I was thinking about how certain private conversations would have been written in the gospel accounts (e.g., Jesus and Pilate and Jesus praying in the garden). How do you think that they recorded these? And more importantly, how would they have known about them? I think the easiest solution is that Jesus probably just told them about it post-ascension.

But you also have, for instance, the Sanhedrin in Acts, where Gamaliel talks about how if this messianic movement is of God, then it wouldn't die.

Thoughts?

The Holy Spirit would be my guess.

I think each instance could have multiple answers. In the case of Pilot, Jesus could have told them, or maybe there was a guard present who later became a believer, or straight revelation from the Holy Spirit. Invthe other case, maybe one of the Jews who were in the Sanhedrin later became a believer. In the case of the garden, it would either have to be Jesus or direct Revelation.

The inner circle of Peter James and John would have seen the prayer in the garden and arrest

In part, we know that 'the disciple who Jesus loved' went into the high priest's house and Peter also watched the proceedings from the garden outside in part so... parts of the trial would be known

John and several women say the crucifixion

Nicodemus was not present but had access to parts of the proceedings
Saul of Tarsus would have some information as well...ve been completely
The silence of the priests and pharisees in response says something about the claims as well

Jesus did speak to them at various times after being raised

and none of those conversations would have been completely private as there are guards and servants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back