Prince Caspian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonya and I were listening to it this AM while they were watching it over breakfast and all the dialogue is kind of like: "Oh no, these transistors that power my suit are running out of juice. Maybe if I trick the Mandarin he will leave here so I can power up...." It's kind of the "...we don't have time to develop the plot so we'll just have the character tell you something right away and fill in all the blanks in an obvious way...." James and Anna don't seem to care but it makes me chuckle.

Comics used to be written in the exact same way.

I preferred LWW. They flattened out the interesting storyline that was in the book, added some extra battles to keep it interesting, and basically made it one long, somewhat uninteresting, trek toward the big fight at the end. I was actually sitting there bored with what I was watching by about the half way point, but my three boys were with me, and they were having a good time, which helped.

As far as the many reports of a darker film than the first go, I actually think that the stone table scene in LWW was more intense than anything in PC. We still skip that scene for our kids, but I felt that even our little girl, Miriam (4) would be fine with PC. Our five year old son, Addison, had no problem (of course, he was sitting in my lap the entire time).

I preferred LWW. They flattened out the interesting storyline that was in the book, added some extra battles to keep it interesting, and basically made it one long, somewhat uninteresting, trek toward the big fight at the end. I was actually sitting there bored with what I was watching by about the half way point, but my three boys were with me, and they were having a good time, which helped.

As far as the many reports of a darker film than the first go, I actually think that the stone table scene in LWW was more intense than anything in PC. We still skip that scene for our kids, but I felt that even our little girl, Miriam (4) would be fine with PC. Our five year old son, Addison, had no problem (of course, he was sitting in my lap the entire time).

I wondered about the battles when I saw a preview last night. The actual book doesn't really recount any battles but only implies that PC is not faring too well against his uncle. Multiple battles seem to have taken place in the timeframe that Peter and the rest are making their way to find PC.

Andrew,

Any word on why they skipped over The Horse and His Boy? I actually found Prince Caspian to be kind of a boring read by comparison.

My guess is that they are following the popular order of the books. I would also be curious to see how they handle the obvious (and correct) negativity towards the Arabian and Islamic people of Calormen.
they will readjust it and make it ecumenical.

Pretty good. Dark, intense, some scary scenes for young children. Long live Narnia!

Saw the movie yesterday with my wife and son (it was his birthday, and so he said, "all I ever want is to see Prince Caspian on opening day..."),He's 11, and so we went.

While the movie took some liberties with the story-line, as a whole I think that it was well done.

I give it :up: :up:

:popcorn:

My wife is a Chronicles of Narnia fan(atic). We went yesterday and liked it a lot. However, LWW was superior in almost every way (in my untutored estimation).

Still, LONG LIVE NARNIA!

Being under the weather in today's society is actually much nicer than in 18th century New England or 17th century Britan, In my humble opinion. We get to see movies without much effort.

As a result of that, I saw Narnia today.

I'm not necessarily much of a CS Lewis fan, having to theologically dodge his Arminianism through his works, especially some of the "work oriented" things in the Narnia series. However, I do very much like certain scenes.

In Prince Capsian, the theme of "Cursed is the one who trusts in man and depends on his flesh for his strength, and whose heart turns away from the Lord" was glaring. It culminated in Aslan's rebuke to Lucy when he asked her why she didn't seek him even though she saw him, while the other ignored that. I must say, that made the movie for me. I like movies that cause me to think (i.e. do I take the red pill or the blue pill?). When Aslan's rebuke directly dealt with the issue of "the flesh", I almost forgot the rest of the film and simply began thinking about how that impacts me. (i.e., when do I turn away though I am spiritually cognizant and mentally cognizant of Christ's work in and around me?) (I am looking forward to the Silver Chair and some of the themes surrounding Eustus as well).

In any case, I would rate it around the same range as Rotton Tomatoes did - 90 out of 100. Both my wife and I enjoyed it very much.

Being under the weather in today's society is actually much nicer than in 18th century New England or 17th century Britan, In my humble opinion. We get to see movies without much effort.

I'm not necessarily much of a CS Lewis fan, having to theologically dodge his Arminianism through his works, especially some of the "work oriented" things in the Narnia series. However, I do very much like certain scenes.

In Prince Capsian, the theme of "Cursed is the one who trusts in man and depends on his flesh for his strength, and whose heart turns away from the Lord" was glaring. It culminated in Aslan's rebuke to Lucy when he asked her why she didn't seek him even though she saw him, while the other ignored that. I must say, that made the movie for me. I like movies that cause me to think (i.e. do I take the red pill or the blue pill?). When Aslan's rebuke directly dealt with the issue of "the flesh", I almost forgot the rest of the film and simply began thinking about how that impacts me. (i.e., when do I turn away though I am spiritually cognizant and mentally cognizant of Christ's work in and around me?) (I am looking forward to the Silver Chair and some of the themes surrounding Eustus as well).

In any case, I would rate it around the same range as Rotton Tomatoes did - 90 out of 100. Both my wife and I enjoyed it very much.

I would second that opinion, after returning from the movie this afternoon a 90 out of 100. Another area that struck my heart was how pride and trusting in one's self instead of waiting on the Lord leads to such terrible consequences to us and those around us. This occurred to me during the premature attack on the castle.

Saw it yesterday with the family. I agree with the above two posts. It was a good movie. The book was more fairy story-ish. The movie was more epic feeling. But it worked. :2cents:

Saw the movie this afternoon.

The movie stayed true to the book only about 70%, in my opinion. The book's ending was better, in terms of how Aslan dealt with the different groups of people. The movie rushed through that aspect completely.

The book also had Aslan picking up a number of fallen Narnians on his way back to the castle with Lucy, representing Christ's redemptive power (going into the highways and byways). The movie ignores this, to its detriment.

I thought the excess swashbuckling was just to entertain the masses, and was really pointless at times.

While the part of Nikibrick trying to bring back the White Witch was out of place in relation to where the book had it (closer to the end), the movie was effective in showing the White Witch representing the deceptive ploys of Satan.

I gave LWW a 95, and I give Caspian an 80.

Like Mr. McFadden, I thought LWW was clearly superior.

I saw it last night, it was definitely for grade school children, sappy and silly at times, rigid acting at others, not nearly as allegorical as the first one.

I give it a "B".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_8Zq_iWuFg"]YouTube - The Red pill[/ame]

I have not seen it, but there was a review of this movie on the radio today by an OPC pastor. He said it was a "humanist" flick and he did not recommend it.
I got the impression that the Chrisitans who praise the movie do so because they have a humanistic view of the world as well.

Alright, I can't keep up the facade anymore. The gloves are off, the mask is removed, the ruse has been exposed.

I am a humanist. I enjoyed the movie Prince Caspian.

I've been trying to suppress it for quite a while, but I can't contain it any longer. Seeing Prince Caspian did it for me. While I was watching the movie, I felt an inescapable and immense feeling of entertainment that endured with me after I left the theater. I knew then, as I know now, that I must be a humanist.

Sorry all.

Alright, I can't keep up the facade anymore. The gloves are off, the mask is removed, the ruse has been exposed.

I am a humanist. I enjoyed the movie Prince Caspian.

I've been trying to suppress it for quite a while, but I can't contain it any longer. Seeing Prince Caspian did it for me. While I was watching the movie, I felt an inescapable and immense feeling of entertainment that endured with me after I left the theater. I knew then, as I know now, that I must be a humanist.

Sorry all.
:eek: :rofl: :rofl:

CAspian was grand, actually better, In my humble opinion than LWW.

Some glaring faults. It did not bother me, as it will some pure Lewisians, that they altered the story.

I do not like what they did with Susan (now a warrior-princess, hardly Queen Susan the GEntle). It did not bother me that they had a little bit of longing looks between her and Caspian, but, cmon, heaving bosom by the fireside (what is she, like 15? --noted by my wife, btw), and the whole run back and give him a kiss to the cheesy pop song will not age well, In my humble opinion.

Other than that, grand, and looking forward to the rest of the series!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back