Preventing a Natural Blessing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayPot

Puritan Board Sophomore
Is it lawful/wise to actively and continually seek to prevent yourself from receiving a blessing that naturally occurs?

I can think of sometimes refusing something that would be a blessing in certain contexts and for short periods. e.g., my mother-in-law recently purchased some diapers for us at the store and tried to refuse having us pay her back. However, she routinely blesses us in very tangible ways and so I insisted on paying while profusely thanking her for her generosity. I didn't feel bad about that. But if she were often trying to do things to bless us and I continued to consistently refuse her, then that would seem unkind, rude, and unloving.

If you think it's okay, why do you think it's okay, and can you give specific examples? I am working through a specific issue and would like to be sharpened on the issue. I appreciate your help.

If the blessing isn't something you immediately need (as, it seems, is the case, if you are financially capable of paying for the diapers [in this example]), why not gratefully accept the blessing and then channel it to someone else (using the money you would have spent on diapers to support another needy family, perhaps)?

Just some thoughts. Of course you don't want to come across as greedy or selfish, but really, if someone else desires to be a blessing, shouldn't we try to encourage them rather than discourage them?

Is it, or isn't it, possible to have "too much of a good thing"? Tribbles, anyone?

But then that wouldn't be a blessing anymore, right?

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

If the blessing isn't something you immediately need (as, it seems, is the case, if you are financially capable of paying for the diapers [in this example]), why not gratefully accept the blessing and then channel it to someone else (using the money you would have spent on diapers to support another needy family, perhaps)?

Just some thoughts. Of course you don't want to come across as greedy or selfish, but really, if someone else desires to be a blessing, shouldn't we try to encourage them rather than discourage them?

I see your point. As I mentioned though, the example I have in mind is naturally occurring and not easily passed on to someone else (though it would also be a blessing to the person who receives it.)

Sounds like the beginnings of another birth control post . . . (if it's not, it could be!)

The things themselves are one kind of blessing. 1Tim.4:4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving.

The same good things can be a kind of trial, however, either by becoming vile/corrupt on their own or by our neglect, or by those same things overwhelming us (ala tribbles). Good in themselves, and in the abstract; a trial or positively a burden possibly, in the concrete.

Why don't we just adopt any and all foster-children?--regardless of whether the state sends us a check every month for each one. Children are a blessing, correct? And we are to commanded to care for orphans, correct? So, I don't see any limitations or qualifications spelled out in either of those points--we should take as many of the blessings of God we can get, and obey all his commands to the fullest. There's no legitimate limit on what God expects from us, he'll provide if we just act in this "faith." So what if your house is only 500 sq.ft.? You should attempt to feed, clothe, and house a 100 of the waifs, or more.

Look, we don't reason like that, if we have common sense. God wants us to work with all our might, which usually means we should be making money, riches are a blessing. Does God want me to work for that "blessing" while barely taking time to eat and sleep? Or does he want me to use the head he put on my shoulders to judge when I should work, stop working and spend time with wife and kids?

God expects us to use our noggins.

Why don't we just adopt any and all foster-children?--regardless of whether the state sends us a check every month for each one. Children are a blessing, correct? And we are to commanded to care for orphans, correct? So, I don't see any limitations or qualifications spelled out in either of those points--we should take as many of the blessings of God we can get, and obey all his commands to the fullest. There's no legitimate limit on what God expects from us, he'll provide if we just act in this "faith." So what if your house is only 500 sq.ft.? You should attempt to feed, clothe, and house a 100 of the waifs, or more.

You mean like George Muller? He lived, eat, slept, and breathed his children at Ashley Downs. The world could use a few more like him.

But that aside, enter into it and see what God provides for (he may actually close the door to it) - there is no correlation between having 100 'waifs' in your care and working night and day any more than there is having 4 and working night and day. God's church always responds.

Last edited:

The things themselves are one kind of blessing. 1Tim.4:4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving.

The same good things can be a kind of trial, however, either by becoming vile/corrupt on their own or by our neglect, or by those same things overwhelming us (ala tribbles). Good in themselves, and in the abstract; a trial or positively a burden possibly, in the concrete.

Look, we don't reason like that, if we have common sense. God wants us to work with all our might, which usually means we should be making money, riches are a blessing. Does God want me to work for that "blessing" while barely taking time to eat and sleep? Or does he want me to use the head he put on my shoulders to judge when I should work, stop working and spend time with wife and kids?

God expects us to use our noggins.

Thanks your thoughts Rev. Buchanan. Your points are ones I had not thought of/heard.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Sounds like the beginnings of another birth control post . . . (if it's not, it could be!)

Very perceptive. That's exactly the underlying issue. My wife and I have been working through the issue for many months now. I know it seems clear to many, but it's still not clear to us. We want to honor the Lord either way (though I must admit I'm a little scared to simply "trust the Lord", which of course is wrong). It's a deep, sensitive, important topic for us.

We want to honor the Lord either way (though I must admit I'm a little scared to simply "trust the Lord", which of course is wrong). It's a deep, sensitive, important topic for us.

I think it is a deep, sensitive, and important issue for everyone - it's a human life. But why is it 'of course' wrong to "trust the Lord"?

We want to honor the Lord either way (though I must admit I'm a little scared to simply "trust the Lord", which of course is wrong). It's a deep, sensitive, important topic for us.

I think it is a deep, sensitive, and important issue for everyone - it's a human life. But why is it 'of course' wrong to "trust the Lord"?

It's wrong to be SCARED to trust the Lord. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Sorry brother, I am the one to apologize here - I misread it.

But that's a step of faith that is well beyond what many can handle. I know that I don't all the time either. When it is the one you love, it is amazing how hard it is to let that faith be the rubber that hits the road. I can do it with my life more easily than my wife's.

Sorry brother, I am the one to apologize here - I misread it.

But that's a step of faith that is well beyond what many can handle. I know that I don't all the time either. When it is the one you love, it is amazing how hard it is to let that faith be the rubber that hits the road. I can do it with my life more easily than my wife's.

No worries. And by the way, I have appreciated your thoughts and opinions regarding the birth control issue many times.

That's hilarious! I didn't think anyone did (or perhaps just a few oddballs like myself)! I do have a tendancy to be a wee bit opinionated when it comes to this particular topic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back