Presbyterian/Baptist Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys for all the input. Wednesday was nice, but kind of pointless. We all tried to show him why presbyterianism is the way to go, but he always had a response against what we were saying. I'm not seeing any fruit as of right now. But then again, quite a few of my friends were Baptists before coming to embrace Presbyterianism.

Thanks guys for all the input. Wednesday was nice, but kind of pointless. We all tried to show him why presbyterianism is the way to go, but he always had a response against what we were saying. I'm not seeing any fruit as of right now. But then again, quite a few of my friends were Baptists before coming to embrace Presbyterianism.

I have to agree with Harold about him finding a Baptist church. Sounds like the debate is going no where and is becoming somewhat divisive. If he's been there for quite sometime and he's still not convinced by you or the elders or other members but still wants to learn, then maybe give him some of the literature people have cited for you to give him. If he's not really interested in reading something in-depth, then I would say he's not really interested in learning. He really can't expect the church to change its views on this. Also, I find it unfair of him to charge your church with the duty of convincing him of paedobaptism beyond a reasonable amount of time and effort which sounds like you and your church have done. If he's serious about staying and becoming a member, then he needs to do his research. If he's not serious about learning about paedobaptism, then I would gently nudge him on to a Baptist church.

I have to agree with Harold about him finding a Baptist church. Sounds like the debate is going no where and is becoming somewhat divisive. If he's been there for quite sometime and he's still not convinced by you or the elders or other members but still wants to learn, then maybe give him some of the literature people have cited for you to give him. If he's not really interested in reading something in-depth, then I would say he's not really interested in learning. He really can't expect the church to change its views on this. Also, I find it unfair of him to charge your church with the duty of convincing him of paedobaptism beyond a reasonable amount of time and effort which sounds like you and your church have done. If he's serious about staying and becoming a member, then he needs to do his research. If he's not serious about learning about paedobaptism, then I would gently nudge him on to a Baptist church.

I don't think it is fair to say that just because someone doesn't go to the paedobaptism side means that they are not interested or serious about learning about the practice. I have studied it and, for me, found it to be inconsistent with what I believe is taught in Scripture. That does not mean I wasn't serious about it and it does not mean that I have to break bonds with my brothers. We agree to disagree.

I don't think it is fair to say that just because someone doesn't go to the paedobaptism side means that they are not interested or serious about learning about the practice. I have studied it and, for me, found it to be inconsistent with what I believe is taught in Scripture. That does not mean I wasn't serious about it and it does not mean that I have to break bonds with my brothers. We agree to disagree.

That is not at all what I said.

I think you miss Sarah’s point. According to Ryan, the gentleman in question does not see formal membership as something biblical, so there is no membership to be broken. I think Sarah is simply saying that, given the facts, the wisest thing for this gentleman to do may be to move on. Of course he should not be forced out, but if he does not want to join/ submit formally (even if he maintains and anti-paedo position), it sounds like, given all we know, this could turn into a source of division.... which our Elders (Baptist and Presbyterian) should always be on the look out for. If this guy wants the care of the Elders, without submitting to formal membership, then this seems hypocritical and unfair to the local session.

However, and above all, the local Session should be trusted with what direction to go with this situation.

Last edited:
One would be hard pressed in this day, to see any Presbyterian church deal with this officially. Most Presbyterian settings would allow for non-communicant status of credo's who find the church their home, especially if the person is tithing faithfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back