Premillennial Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage Bluestem

Puritan Board Junior
Hi Guys.

I'm premillennial. However eschatology is my weakest area. I was raised amillennial but I don't believe Riddlebargers arguments make much sense anymore compared with what scripture actually says. I believe it must literal not symbolic or it just doesn't make sense.

Are any of you strong premillenialists who can share some good resources with me? My primary resources right now are John Macarthur and the post apostolic fathers.

Puritan Board. :LOL:

I'm surely not the only premillennial poster on the Puritan Board. I imagine there has to be a pastor or theologian that is solidly premillennial.

What I'm really looking for is some good bullet point resources on premillenialism. It's hard to find something solid because we neglect eschatology so much in the reformed camp.

I can't get past the first Messianic prophecy in scripture-- Genesis 3:15-- without seeing that a strictly literal method of interpretation, consistently applied, causes a host of problems.

A Case for Historic Premillenialism edited by Blomberg and Chung.

I would second the recommendation for this book. I would also recommend More than Conquerors by William Hendriksen if you want to read a better case for Amillenailism than Riddlebargers book.

I'm surely not the only premillennial poster on the Puritan Board. I imagine there has to be a pastor or theologian that is solidly premillennial.

What I'm really looking for is some good bullet point resources on premillenialism. It's hard to find something solid because we neglect eschatology so much in the reformed camp.

We don't neglect eschatology, that's a very inaccurate statement about the board.

Your next study is on Already-Not Yet kingdom theology.

Not worrying about attack helicopters or picking dates for His return.

Last edited:

We don't neglect eschatology, that's a very inaccurate statement about the board.

:ditto:

Quite unfortunate of you to say that, right now when we just had the privilege to welcome Dr. Mathison on the PB, please try reading this, instead of assuming unfair ideas.

Keith A. Mathison, From Age to Age: The Unfolding of Biblical Eschatology. P & R, a tour de force of 890 pages

From Age to Age | P & R Publishing

Not to mention Geerhardus Vos or Meredith Kline works, whose readings of Redemptive History had always such a clear Eschatological Telos.

It's hard to find something solid because we neglect eschatology so much in the reformed camp.

I do not think that reformed people neglect eschatology, it's just that we are not obsessed with it like the premillinial people are. We understand Revelation the way that John intended for the first century church to understand it; the world is evil, but take heart, because Christ is coming back. End of story.

I'm pre-mil, very sympathetic to amil. While I fully believe that Revelation is not to be taken literal-where-possible, as it is symbolic and apocalyptic, but some statements I know not how to interpret them symbolically with consistency and get out amil in light of other passages in Scripture. I think I would align most with Wayne Grudem's treatment of historical premil.

MacArthur? He is not a good resource for Premil. Actually he was rebutted very graciously and well by Sam Waldron.

Amazon.com: MacArthur's Millennial Manifesto (9780980217926): Samuel E. Waldron: Books

MacArthur's form of Premillenialism is dispensational and not Historic Premil which is Covenantal in frame. I would be very weary of MacArhtur's theology in this area.

Macarthur delivered a sermon at the Shepherds conference in 2007 called "Why every self respecting Calvinist is a Premillenialist." That sermon and his Study Bible has greatly influenced my eschatological thinking.

In addition, once I was speaking with a pretty high profile Reformed theologian and pastor who knows Dr. Macarthur personally. I asked him "Is Macarthur still on that premillennial kick or have you set him straight?" He told me. "I wouldn't say that, he knows his stuff a lot better than I know mine." That got me to thinking as well.

Macarthur delivered a sermon at the Shepherds conference in 2007 called "Why every self respecting Calvinist is a Premillenialist." That sermon and his Study Bible has greatly influenced my eschatological thinking.

The problem is, MacArthur's Premillenialism is not Historic nor does it conform to the Reformed confessions. Therefore, advocation of his eschatological scheme would be contrary to Puritanboard rules. ;)

The problem is, MacArthur's Premillenialism is not Historic nor does it conform to the Reformed confessions. Therefore, advocation of his eschatological scheme would be contrary to Puritanboard rules. ;)

I don't see Macarthur's premillennial positon not conforming to the confessions. It's a thousand year earthly reign of Christ, either way you slice it. Macarthur himself may not confess a confession but many who do agree with his premillenialism.

Anyway, the point of the thread is that I'm asking for premillennial resources from pastors and theologians OTHER than Macarthur and the ECFs. Because as stated that's all I have had up until some pointed out others in this thread. I'm not a very eschatologically focused person. I've focused on soteriology much more. As you will notice out of all the posts in my blog not one of them is on the topic of eschatology.

I don't see Macarthur's premillennial positon not conforming to the confessions.

LBC 31:2 At the last day, such of the saints as are found alive, shall not sleep, but be changed; and all the dead shall be raised up with the selfsame bodies, and none other; although with different qualities, which shall be united again to their souls forever.

I don't see how MacArthur's view that there shall be three different resurrections, one at the 'rapture', one at Christ's coming, and another at the White Throne, conforms at all to the Reformed confessions. MacArthur's premilenialism is dispensational and, therefore, a different animal from the historic premillennial view.

I don't see Macarthur's premillennial positon not conforming to the confessions. It's a thousand year earthly reign of Christ, either way you slice it. Macarthur himself may not confess a confession but many who do agree with his premillenialism.

Anyway, the point of the thread is that I'm asking for premillennial resources from pastors and theologians OTHER than Macarthur and the ECFs. Because as stated that's all I have had up until some pointed out others in this thread. I'm not a very eschatologically focused person. I've focused on soteriology much more. As you will notice out of all the posts in my blog not one of them is on the topic of eschatology.

David,

The more I read your posts the more I come to know for certain that you do not understand premillennialism nor amillenialism. Especially since you can't understand that John MacArthur's theology is not Covenantal but is dispensational. Do you understand there is a difference concerning this first. I think that would be a great place for you to go before you even consider your millennial position. Please don't think that I am trying to be harsh with you. Can you tell us first off the differences between Covenant Theology and Dispensational thought? This is very important.

Also you might want to note that early Chilaism is not like our modern day premillennialism. Start here with Rev. Winzer's comments in this thread. http://www.puritanboard.com/f30/premillennialism-westminster-confession-faith-52471/#post678162

I don't see how MacArthur's view that there shall be three different resurrections, one at the 'rapture', one at Christ's coming, and another at the White Throne, conforms at all to the Reformed confessions. MacArthur's premilenialism is dispensational and, therefore, a different animal from the historic premillennial view.

Yes, premillenialism contradicts the Confessional view of one resurrection (specifically WLC 87, 88)

Do you have a link, Bill? The chart lost all of its formatting in the post.

I was premillennial for most of my nearly 58 years. Ladd was one of my profs in seminary (Gundry is post-trib, premil and I did some of the footnote checking on his book while taking classes from him in college). Anything by Ladd will give you a premil perspective. As has already been identified, you will find that A Case for Historic Premillenialism edited by Blomberg and Chung, is now considered the most up-to-date statement of the position. Ken was sharp to point to Shreiner. Since he relatively recently changed from Amil to Premil, his MP3s would probably have some fairly convincing emotive impact.

If you want to go beyond Waldron (easy read) and Riddlebarger (more substantive) in disputing the premil view, try Keith A. Mathison, From Age to Age: The Unfolding of Biblical Eschatology. Reformed guys who write nearly 900 pages on eschatology are rare indeed!

Sorry that you were left unconvinced by Riddlebarger. Reading him is what dislodged me from my lifelong premil view.

DD, we have gone over this before on ChristianForums...you need to learn what premil and amil are. Compare them with scripture, and only after comparing these views with scripture, tell us what you believe.

Peace brother.

j

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back