Precentor Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Years ago, my roommate had something which I think he referred to as a "precentor's manual" or a book about precenting.

I don't recall the title. I looked at the entry for precentors in the Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology and noted references to Millar Patrick's Four Centuries of Scottish Psalmody, which I have, and other books including Duncan Fraser's The Passing of the Precentor, which I don't have.

I also found reference to a book called Precentor's Guide to the Selection of Tunes (1853) by Matthew McGavin; The Old Scottish Precentor Historical Biographical Anecdotal and Reminiscent (1907) by W. Milne Gibson; The Auld Scotch Precentor, As Sketched in Anecdote and Story (1894) by Nicholas Dickson; and Choralia : A Handy Book for Parochial Precentors and Choirmasters (1901) by Rev. James Baden Powell.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations for a "precentor's manual" or book about precenting? Jay?

Andrew,

Closest thing I have is "A Manual for Precentors". It is more like a handout in form, and it was published by The Psalmody Committee of The Free Church of Scotland.. Kathleen Wright is a major contributor.

You will remember that the Northern Presbytery of the RPC of Ireland had a Psalmody choir with which Wright worked to produce a set of 5 CD's (formerly cassette tapes) of Psalms sung to tunes out of The Psalms in Metre. The work is titled Scottish Metrical Psalms.

It's like 40 pages or so, sol fa oriented, very practical. I picked up a lot of pointers from it.

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that McGavin work.

Cheers ~~ Jay

Jay -- Thanks! That may well be what I was thinking of. I happened to get all five cassettes (which I enjoy very much to this day) that you mentioned when I was at a Reformed Presbyterian International Conference in Ireland in 1994. My roommate got that precentor's manual around the same time. Do you know if your manual is available for sale by the FCS or elsewhere?

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
... Duncan Fraser's The Passing of the Precentor ...

This book is an excellent read if you have experienced precenting. It is mostly anecdotal and quite humorous in places.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Jay -- ... Do you know if your manual is available for sale by the FCS or elsewhere?

Andrew,

Here is a link to Free Church Psalmody Resources. Perhaps an email inquiry might be in order. I have also posted the question on The Free Church forum.

Jay

[Edited on 7-21-2006 by jaybird0827]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back