Preaching Christ In All Of Scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Chomp

Puritan Board Freshman
I am listening again to Keller and Clowney's Dmin class - "Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World". This course was conducted at RTS, my alma matter, I think in the mid to late 90s. Keller and Clowney put forth their model of Christ centered preaching. I am so helped by these lectures. Has anyone else listened to this? How do you evaluate their approach?

Yes, they are excellent lectures and a very helpful approach. They are not the only way one can approach preaching/teaching the Bible, but they are one way a good teacher should be trained to go. I also appreciate the mix of hearing Clowney at the end of his long ministry and a relatively young Keller at the peak of his, before he started writing many books and while he was still chiefly interested in honing the "preach Christ" message with an apologist's touch.

Personal story: At one point during Q&A in those sessions, Keller briefly mentions that there are several resources for helping preachers preach Christ from every part of the Bible, but he says the church needs resources to help those who instruct children in the church do the same. I had been fiddling with the idea of writing a book that would do this, but no one I spoke to thought it would sell. Hearing Keller say there was a need was one factor that encouraged me to keep at the project, and I eventually wrote that book.

It's classic Keller and Clowney at their best; they are an awesome tag team. Clowney makes the profound Biblical Theological connections and Keller makes the gospel-centered applications.

During my first year in seminary I listened to Clowney's sermon on Psalm 90 on a cassette tape in the library basement and it changed my life: I knew that that kind of Christ-centered preaching was what I wanted to do when I grew up. Later, I got to know Ed as a colleague at Westminster in California, while my wife and I lived with the Kellers for a while as a student at Westminster Seminary Philadelphia. So I guess you could say their influence on me is deep.

I am listening again to Keller and Clowney's Dmin class - "Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World". This course was conducted at RTS, my alma matter, I think in the mid to late 90s. Keller and Clowney put forth their model of Christ centered preaching. I am so helped by these lectures. Has anyone else listened to this? How do you evaluate their approach?

I listened to them early on in my ministry and found them very helpful in figuring out how to preach Christ from any genre in Scripture.

What's that book Westminster put out about Christ centered theology? Very good book though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back