Preaching-centered versus Word-centered

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarieP

Puritan Board Senior
A co-worker and I were talking, and he mentioned that in the context of his studies, he's noticed a trend that says that preaching (in the common use of the term) is thought to be the center of the worship service. Everything leads up to and serves the preaching. He is not saying he has any problem with preaching, but he is saying that that's too narrow a view. The Word is the centerpiece of worship, whether it is proclaimed in consecutive reading, prayer, singing of psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, a sermon, the Lord's Supper, or baptism (I've made another thread for the discussion of baptism as an element of worship). And this all points to the Word Incarnate, as heaven will be focused on Him even as we won't have a written Word in which we commune with and see Him now, we will see the Word face to face.

Do you think he's splitting hairs or making a valid assertion? Is this a problem that we have? What sorts of practical effects would this have on the worship service? I would think it would lead to more attentiveness Biblically saturated prayer, singing more Biblically based music, giving more attention to consecutive Scripture reading (the first time I visited my church, I wondered "what did that have to do with the preaching?" It may or may not, and it does more often than not, but it has to do with hearing the words of my Savior!), having a higher view of the Lord's Supper (I visited a church where the pastor said, "Unbelievers, we're going to take the Lord's Supper now. You don't understand it yet, so just wait while we do this..." I wasn't even Reformed yet, and I knew there was something wrong there!). And the focus would be on Christ ministering to us through His Word not only in the preaching but throughout the service. Also, it would become easier to look beyond the preacher and the other men leading to the One who is using them!

Very good points, I say. The entire service should be centered around the Word. We would do well to heed these thoughts.

Yet I also think there remains a sense in which preaching is primary to being Word-centered. Faithful preaching is the main way the Word of God is brought to us with power: "How are they to hear without someone preaching" (Rom. 10:14).

It is interesting that one of our strongest proof texts for the inspiration of Scripture, 2 Tim. 3:16, does not appear in a passage urging private or even public Scripture reading. It's in a passage about preaching. All Scripture is inspired and profitable for teaching "that the man of God may be competent, equipped." Then follows the familiar charge: "Preach the Word.... Reprove, rebuke and exhort." Scripture finds a powerful voice when the man of God uses it to preach the Word.

So I would say we certainly ought to become more Word-centered throughout the service. These are great points and it's refreshing to hear them! But we can follow them and still remain preaching-centered as well.

The danger with the preaching-centered model is that it ultimately becomes a preacher-centered model. It is not the preached Word but who is at the mic. The other thing is that it becomes a performance with the star of the show being the preacher. The choir is the opening act getting the crowd ready. The prayer is to direct our attention to the star of the hour. Even in the PC model the songs have to match so that the performer can come up and recite one of the songs in a pious fashion and then enter into his or her "dialogue" with the crowd. I came from a church where it is the preacher and not the preached Word that is the focus. There were issues with the preacher/performer's salary and he actually said "I bring the people here and they come and pay to see me! They don't come to see the deacons, trustees, or ushers. They come to see me and I deserve to be compensated for my efforts!!"

Great points! Once I transferred it was new and refreshing that all of service was about worship. From beginning to end was about worship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back