Preaching and Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmay

Puritan Board Freshman
Does preaching, even if you are a “guest” preacher that is on no session, exercise authority? Or does authority in 1 Tim 2:12 only refer to ruling authority, such as the session?

I’ve always assumed that preaching was a form of authority, thus no female preachers, but someone told me that the authority that Paul is referring to is ruling authority. For example, the session calls a guest preacher to preach, the guest preacher doesn’t tell the session that he will be preaching. Therefore, the authoritative voice here is the session and not the guest preacher. But when you proclaim the word of God in corporate worship, isn’t that exercising authority?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The authority of a lawfully called preacher, exercising his gifts in a lawful manner lies in his authority to proclaim/herald the Gospel. When the words, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand," are declared from the pulpit, with the agreement and blessing of Christ's church behind them, they carry a weight of authority that is not present when they are uttered at other times by other people.

I am not sure I understand the rest of your scenario.

Even if we debate what "exercise authority" means, immediately before that phrase Paul says he does not permit a woman to teach. Isn't preaching teaching in some sense or another? So if preaching is teaching, and Paul says a woman is not permitted to teach, then......?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back