Praying for unbelievers

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexanderjames

Puritan Board Sophomore
How may / should we pray for unbelievers?

Firstly some things I certainly do pray for - I pray for the knowledge of Christ to come to unbelievers, and for their salvation. I pray for justice. I pray for leaders and governments, that they will rule with wisdom and equity.

But I have always questioned when others pray for unbelievers in more material or outward blessings when there is no context for it bringing glory to God. I want to pray for people’s basic human necessities, but I am never convinced about anything further than that. For example, minor physical healing or “peace” for unbelievers, or their “success”.

Then there is the question over world matters, like the current war in Ukraine. I do pray for the Christians, and for those who are helpless, and for God to graciously use the events to bring many to the knowledge of Himself..
But should I be praying for the war to stop? The reason I ask is because I don’t want to go against God’ plans. If God is using Putin as an instrument to bring judgment, so that people repent, I don’t want to pray against that.

Thank you.

Alex, these are good questions. You however, did say:
If God is using Putin as an instrument to bring judgment, so that people repent, I don’t want to pray against that.
This logic if consistent would lead us to stop praying for abortion to be put to an end. I personally, believe the wicked act of abortion and sexual confusion God is using to bankrupt the wicked of an offspring, while the righteous and their seed flourish; I would not however, stop praying for abortion to cease. Just my .02 cents - we ought to make a distinction between our duty according to the knowledge we have, and the infinite wisdom and understanding of God.

Deuteronomy 29:29

Since we cannot know in advance what is in God's decree, it doesn't make sense to not pray for things in case God has not decreed them. We can pray for anything that is according to God's revealed will (including the conversion of unbelievers, and their good generally, and for peace, both in general and specific situations). Beyond God's revealed will, anything we pray for should be with the caveat that we only desire them if they are consistent with God's will (James 4:15).

Which is the greater godly virtue?
1. A deep compassion for others, even unbelievers, that makes us happy to see anything pleasant come their way.​
2. A concern to figure out how much others need so that our compassion and our prayers don't go overboard.​

Number one is the winner, quite clearly. Our Father bids us pray about what is on our hearts, and compassion is a godly impulse. So if he has given us a heart that cares about others, even unbelievers, we are invited to pray for them. We should be much more concerned that we might become cold, uncaring, and prayerless than that we might ask for more than God desires to give. And if we worry that we might be praying for people God does not intend to bless we will only end up stymying all our prayers, since we cannot know his eternal decrees.

Just go ahead and pray. God loves it when his children pray, even imperfectly. Over time, our prayers may evolve so that they better and better fit his kingdom purposes. But it's best to go ahead and just start praying for people, full stop, rather than hesitating because we aren't sure how well our current prayer impulses fit those purposes.

Thanks for the responses. Jack I’m well aware of the danger of coldness and lovelessness, and confess this to be a considerable battle at times in my life.

All of your responses have been helpful reminders to see that I don’t need to worry about thinking how best unbelievers can come to be saved. I’m not God! And who can know the mind of the Lord? May His will be done, and may we pray with fervency in love and faith.

I posted on the Moments of Silence thread a few days ago; here are my thoughts. It didn't get any response, but I still thought I would share it here:

It is good to show respect to all those made in the image of God - meaning all persons, no matter their faith

I have several people who are/were not Christians that I often think about and cry and mourn over. [edit: Of course, I mourn and pray for living people too.] :)
Examples:
  1. Kieth Emerson - Keyboardist of ELP, killed himself on March 11, 2016, with a gunshot to his head. He was 71 years old. His girlfriend said he was very depressed due to nerve damage in one of his hands which detracted from his playing ability. I listen to their music from time to time to remember his life and work. I am drawn to his classical piano solos, which I find sad. He reminds me of the multitudes that die every day only to slip into hell forever. Emerson lived and died without hope and without God in the world.

2. Christopher Hitchens (died December 15, 2011) - The atheist and skilled debater seemed to me like a hurt child who so hated the God he didn't believe in. He had an awful childhood that embittered the rest of his life. I loved him dearly. The Lord has, and I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked. I am weeping even now as I mourn for this hurt little child. I have often said that you can sum up his debates and life as, There is no God, and I hate Him,"

3. Richard Dawkins - On the other hand, I can't wait for him to appear in the presence of the Holy God he so condescendingly opposes. In theory, I mourn for him, like I do all the lost, but emotionally, I hope he dies. The sooner, the better.

4. Finally, there is Jordan Peterson - who seems to know and struggle with the knowledge of total depravity more than most Christians. Although he is not to be a real Christian (yet), I pray earnestly for God to have mercy on this suffering man, thinking (hoping) he is not far from the Kingdom of God. [edit: Dawkins is now 80, and I have prayed for him, though I dislike him emencly]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back