Potty Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Hello everyone. Any good advice on potty training? We are now going through the process with our oldest, and so far it's been equivalent to a nightmare. His whole life is falling apart and everything seems to be turning into a melt down. He went a few times on the potty the past few days, but recently he has screamed and now hates it. Trying to reason has gone out the window. I'm thinking about calling an exorcist (just kidding). Thanks!

How old is the child?

My advice is don't rush it. If it is not working, just forget about it for awhile. There are biological and development hurdles and it ain't the kid's fault or disobedience many times when they just are not ready.

How old is the child?

My advice is don't rush it. If it is not working, just forget about it for awhile. There are biological and development hurdles and it ain't the kid's fault or disobedience many times when they just are not ready.
He is 2 and a half.

Why stress over it now? Why not wait 6 months and try again?

We've hardly ever potty "Trained" at all, in the sense that it was a very intentional and stressful action regimen. A relaxed attitude reduces the stress. We never discipline for our kids not getting it right. We do applaud their successes.

Google "Don't rush potty training" and you'll get lots of results.

Have you bribed incentivized with chocolate? :) If that doesn't work, wait longer. We have a stubborn three-year-old that we're still working with. Take your time.

Have you bribed incentivized with chocolate? :) If that doesn't work, wait longer. We have a stubborn three-year-old that we're still working with. Take your time.

Have you ever change a diaper after a child eats chocolate? LOL

We'd had enough of the cost of diapers. This was our motivation and the kids did pretty well.

Last edited:

We had a nightmare experience with our eldest and I think this ended up helping us in the longrun; we gave skittles I think. For her it was #2 that was the issue. We called it "poopie prize." And this may be a bit silly, but we sneaked in a lesson on federal headship too...when the eldest went, the youngest got the poopie prize too on account of the poopie of the elder. Sorry if that's too much info. Romans 5 in action!
:banana:

We had a nightmare experience with our eldest and I think this ended up helping us in the longrun; we gave skittles I think. For her it was #2 that was the issue. We called it "poopie prize." And this may be a bit silly, but we sneaked in a lesson on federal headship too...when the eldest went, the youngest got the poopie prize too on account of the poopie of the elder. Sorry if that's too much info. Romans 5 in action!
:banana:

We'll call that "Reformation #2."

Of course, you could teach Pelagian #2-- just have them poop by imitation. ;)

Peer pressure. Tell your son that his friends will laugh at him if he doesn't get potty trained.

Try to make it as positive an experience as you can.

Of course, you shouldn't have waited until he was 17. . .

Well, we are thankful that today he had no accidents, and he enjoys the potty as of right now. Two gummy bears for pee, and four for the boom. Also, if he keeps up the good work to Friday, we set up his new bed and give him hungry hungry hippos as a reward.

At 2 1/2, our oldest was potty trained in a single day - even standing up to pee! Boy, were we gleeful (and perhaps a tad bit arrogant!). Our youngest is nurturing humility in us as he is the polar opposite of his brother. The moral of the story: each child is different; sometimes, very, very different!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back