Pope Francis allegedly declares that "there is no hell" in interview

Discussion in 'Cults & World Religions' started by Haeralis, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haeralis

Haeralis Puritan Board Freshman

http://www.newsweek.com/does-hell-e...interview-could-change-catholic-church-866010

The Vatican predictably jumps into defense mode and denies that the interview ever happened. Even if he did not utter these remarks in an interview format, it doubtless represents the Pope's universalist leanings.

Consider:
    https://www.opc.org/nh.html?article_id=722

https://timothyjhammons.com/2016/04/17/the-pope-embraces-universalism/

https://www.americamagazine.org/fai...-must-unite-against-intolerance-prejudice-and

2. Gforce9

Gforce9 Puritan Board Junior

Good 'ol Francis.... selling off the family farm.....

3. Bill The Baptist

Bill The Baptist Puritan Board Graduate

Technically, what he was espousing was annihilationism and not universalism.

4. Joshua

Joshua Administrator Staff Member

Well, when you presume to stand in Christ's stead, no lie would ever seem off limits.

5. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Junior

Whom do we believe? The Vatican says the journalist was lying, but to be honest the alleged comments do not seem too far off of Francis's theology.

6. Pergamum

Pergamum Ordinary Guy (TM)

It seems that the old rhetorical question of, "Is the Pope Catholic?!" is now a legit question.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Gforce9

The following video is very pertinent to the discussion. In the Ligonier video, this guy spells out the radical shift in emphasis at Vatican II and that Francis is the embodiment of that council. It is worth the 20-25 minutes, for sure. The speaker is a Protestant with a pastorate and para-church in Rome.

8. Rangerus

Rangerus Puritan Board Junior

funny thing is this is the fifth interview he has conducted with La Repubblica founder Eugenio Scalfar and each time the Vatican refutes the interview. will they ever learn?

9. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Senior

I'm almost embarrassed by Francis on behalf of the Papists. They really put a loose canon on the throne.

10. Gforce9

No doubt, Tyler. My extended family is hard-core R.C. and they are embarrassed about Francis.....

11. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Sophomore

Wasn't ex cathedra, so it doesn't count.

12. Tom Hart

Right. If it's true, then the defence would be that it's not one of those infallible statements. The pope is not said to be infallible in all circumstances, so some of the headlines are misleading.

13. RBachman

RBachman Puritan Board Freshman

WCF 25 VI. There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the Church against Christ, and all that is called God.

I do wonder: can a pope be impeached? I'm not sure I really care, but it is an interesting question.

Or better yet, what if God is using the current Pope to rescue His elect from that false church?

Ro9:22, 23 (ESV) What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory—

14. Dachaser

Dachaser Puritan Board Doctor

Per Catholic theology though, when he speaks on theology and practices for the Church of Rome, is he not speaking on behalf of God, as the Vicar of Christ?

15. Gforce9

He is not speaking authoritatively or, as you say, "for God" all the time, regardless of the topic, but only when it is deemed "ex cathedra". This gives Catholics a back door when someone like Francis speaks foolishly.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  16. Dachaser

Thanks, as I did not know that the Pope is not considered to be infallible unless under certain situations.

17. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Professor

He is the antichrist, what do you expect?

18. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

This guy is one of the two very best commentators on Roman Catholicism alive today, the other being Gregg Allison.

19. Haeralis

Haeralis Puritan Board Freshman

I'd include Dr. James White in that list, but yeah, I agree that all of those men know their stuff. Leonardo De Chirico has a great online resource named VaticanFiles.

I just a few minutes ago had a depressing discussion with an Arminian "Protestant" who believed that Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy were different "flavors" of Christianity but are equally true and not substantively different from classical Protestantism. Why did he think this? Because in his view the "Gospel" is just an ethical code of moral living. It seems like once you abandon monergism for any kind of synergism, Arminian or otherwise, you really lose the ground to oppose the Church of Rome. This person's theology was more similar to Erasmus than to any of the Reformers. Hopefully he has a personal relationship with Christ and just doesn't really understand what that means doctrinally speaking.

20. Gforce9

When he waves his magic wand and sits in the Lazy Boy, he's official!:judge:

21. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

It's my recollection that Benedict, not Francis, was a key player at Vatican II, and that Francis is betraying Benedict's work, not embodying it. Francis would have been about 26 when VII kicked off.

I'd identify Francis more with Liberation Theology rather than Vatican II theology, although he invokes VII to justify his actions.

22. Gforce9

Check out the video. Leonardo di Chirico makes the case that V II included both.....

23. dtaylor3

dtaylor3 Puritan Board Freshman

This is no surprise considering what we have seen from this pope in his time in office.

This is precisely why the church was never setup biblically to follow one man, but rather sola Scriptura!

24. Gforce9

The famous answer when it's time to back-pedal and cause a diversion after a public foot-in-mouth event.

25. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Sophomore

Next time I play golf, I'm not taking a mulligan, I'm taking a francis.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  26. Tom Hart

27. Dachaser

The Pope affirmed that Satan exists, but where is his take on hell here?

28. Tom Hart

I found that to be curiously absent also, going by the news article alone. I didn't read through the actual document.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  29. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.