Pondering the Schuyler Bibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Well, I was over at EvangelicalBible.com recently and was looking at the Schuyler ESVs. The ones I liked are called the "Treveris" (after a 16th-century English printer). Very nice-looking Bibles - three ribbons, very nice text block, 10-point font, ornamental drop caps (I'm a sucker for those, I admit). My only problem is that, in poetry, the margins are all justified-left. In the ESV I have now, if a line of poetry in the Psalms is a little too long, it is continued in the next line with an indentation showing that the second like belongs to the first. Not so in these Treveris Bibles.

Still, I'm thinking that one of these would make a nice 70th-birthday present to myself. I've never had a high-quality Bible before and these, of course, are really nice. So, I'll ponder a little more, I guess.

The Crossway Heirloom Heritage is comparable
The Crossway Heirloom Heritage is wonderfully made. I have the goatskin and the font is 9 25 with plenty of space between the lines.
If you join Crossway online, it's free, and you can get 30% off the normal selling price of their ESV Bibles. Joengblond, the same printer/binder that does Schuyler does the Heritage. I'd actually give the edge to the Crossway over the Schuyler in this instance since the Heirloom Heritage is buttery soft like an Allan. The 28 GSM paper is quite opaque to my eyes.
https://www.biblereviewblog.com/blog/esv-heirloom-heritage

Crossway Heirloom Heritage

I own this in the brown Horween leather and it is absolutely stunning. I too took advantage of a Crossway discount and got it at a cheaper price than what Schuyler offers.

Didn't even know Horween was a word. I learned something today!

Jokes aside, I can't really speak for the ESV's. No help, sorry!

I've decided to pass on the Schuyler Treveris ESV because I don't like the way the psalms and other poetry sections are laid out. Doesn't look like poetry. Too "blocky."

I've decided to pass on the Schuyler Treveris ESV because I don't like the way the psalms and other poetry sections are laid out. Doesn't look like poetry. Too "blocky."
I have the Treveris in KJV and "blocky" is a perfect description. I wanted to like the bible, as the materials are top notch. But the layout just isn't very pretty. It's quite "blocky" indeed. There are bibles at half the price that I'd choose instead today.

I have a Schuyler Quentel (not ESV) that I'm happy with. I think the poetry is done better, and mine has 11pt font which I love.

Well, I decided to pull the trigger and order the Schuyler Quentel ESV. Black-letter text, chapter numbers, headers, page numbers, and Bible references in the margin all in red, 3 ribbons (I think), two-column, and 11-point type. I think I made the right choice. Bible + shipping (no tax): $211. Should be here before the end of the week (FedEx).

I really wanted the Schuyler Quentel Treveris ESV but, as noted above, the poetry layout in that version is seriously ugly. I don't think I could have lived with that very well.

It arrived today (10/26) and holy moly is it gorgeous!

I paged through it looking for problems (as the instruction sheet recommended) and found none. Feels good in the hand, has a nice heft when carrying it, the black goatskin is beautifully done, and the 11-point type is terrific.

I'm a satisfied customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back