Poll: Puritan "Paperbacks" - Leather edition?

Poll: Leather edition for Puritan "Paperbacks"?

• Nah, I'm too cheap to buy leather.

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Youbetcha! Buy 'em all! Only way to go.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I'd love to have a few of my favorites leather-bound.

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Actually I've already had some custom bound.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Tempus faciendi, Domine.
Let's see a show of hands:

If some of the Puritan Paperback series were available in a leather edition, would you buy?

Raise those hands real high and maybe we can get the Banner's attention.

I love "TruTone" as well, I like it much better than leather actually..... thanks for sharing the links!

tru tone is about bulletproof. I'd vote for that. Leather would be too much, In my humble opinion. Though I'd probably like to have a few in leather as mentioned above.

With paperbacks you can underline and write notes or comments in the margin. Writing in the margins of expensive leather bound books just does not seem appropriate. Reference books are looked at again and again, such as commentaries, dictionaries, systematic theologies etc. I would say that other than reference books or multi-volume sets, 90% of our books are read once then put on a shelf and only taken out again if we are looking for a specific section. For the other 10% (in fact it is probably less than that) that are read more than once a paperback can last a long time if its looked after.

I would also find it hard to justify the expense of leather bound books.

Before you make a big push for a leather bound book, make sure the paper is acid-free, or it will yellow and crack in about 8 years. And at that point the leather binding won't matter much.

I have a Cambridge bible that is yellowing and crumbling. I think I am going to order the Rutherford book. I believe it is cheaper at Monergism.com though. I am not sure when you are including the shipping though.

I only have three or four Puritan Paperbacks. I think I prefer the paperback. My favorite so far has been Richard Baxter's "The Reformed Pastor".

My first reaction was to vote "nah, I'm too cheap..." but after thinking about it, it would be nice to have some more durable versions. The binding on the puritan paperbacks tends to crack and break after a few years. Maybe they've fixed that problem since I bought most of mine (about 10 years ago) but a leather or tru-tone version would be nice for my favorites, like Guthrie's Christian's Great Interest or Flavel's Mystery of Providence.

I have been trying to learn bookbinding so I could have leather bound copies of my favorites. I have since learned that it takes specialized tool and things that are pricey. Not to mention time. I would really like to buy them but I think it might be to expensive.

"Leather?" I don't know that OS. Is it an improvement over Windows 7? :lol:

My digital library is now 13,626. I'd have to be richer than Nate Eshelman to have that kind of library in paper, let alone leather!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back