Poll; Ministerial Garments?

What do you wear into the pulpit on Sunday?

• Regular Attire.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Geneva Robe or Preaching Robe.

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A fella I don't know well enough to ask, wears a backward collar when doing anything for the reformed church. He is from South America and primarily ministers within the Hispanic community. I'm guessing this attire signals "clergy" whether RC or not, particularly for first generation (to the US) Latin Americans? Is this a reasonable observation?

I can't answer specifically, but I know in the South of England where I come from the "dog collar" does indeed signify clergy of no specific variety. According to wiki it was invented by a Scottish Presbyterian.

I wear a blue or brown suit. Black suit for funerals. I chose 'other' because for me a suit is not 'regular attire'. I am usually in a shirt, tie and jacket during the week.

I am luckily not a minister (luckily for anyone who would be subjected to me), but I prefer suits over gowns. Since I grew up in an area with a huge RCC presence, I tend to associate gowns with priests. The only gowned evangelicals that i have seen around me were the overly important charismatic types who give themselves the title Bishop.

The Sabbath day is a special day. Shouldn't our dress reflect that? That was a statement and question brought up during our Sabbath School class. The Pulpit is a place that shouldn't reflect the common nor should it reflect the idolatry of our hearts. This is a very complicated discussion because our culture wants to reach out to the common and yet is given to idolatry.

I do think an appropriate formal dress code in the pulpit should be important as our Worship on the Sabbath is not a common thing nor should it be seen to be set in a common setting. Golf shirts in the pulpit shouldn't be the norm. Nor should Hawaiian attire.

Our church tends to be "business casual" in attire.

Sent from my most excellent Android device.

The Sabbath day is a special day. Shouldn't our dress reflect that? That was a statement and question brought up during our Sabbath School class. The Pulpit is a place that shouldn't reflect the common nor should it reflect the idolatry of our hearts. This is a very complicated discussion because our culture wants to reach out to the common and yet is given to idolatry.

I do think an appropriate formal dress code in the pulpit should be important as our Worship on the Sabbath is not a common thing nor should it be seen to be set in a common setting. Golf shirts in the pulpit shouldn't be the norm. Nor should Hawaiian attire.

So why go with a suit over a robe?

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Right now I where what I wear the rest of the week. And theologically this holds up, there is no sacred place that needs special clothing to enter, other than the garments given to us by our lord.

I am considering the idea of a clerical experiment, of wearing a full band collar, and maybe eventual a robe, I prefer that language to gown...=(

Ill let you guys know if I decide to go forward with the trail.

What a pastor wears is a matter of Christian liberty.

I/we prefer a Geneva robe as it helps mark the role of preaching and leading worship without being flashy or "distracting". I realize anything you're not initially used to can become distracting. Take my kids for instance, we had a joint worship service with other Reformed churches and the preaching pastor wore a suit...my kids couldn't understand why. Were they distracted? Maybe. They'd get used to it if we switched to the uniform of businessmen (suits). It's no big deal ultimately no matter how we try to pick at it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back