Pocket Psalters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaalvenist

Puritan Board Sophomore
I remember a while back reading about some history behind pocket-sized Metrical Psalters, and how it sounded like a really good idea. But I couldn't find any organizations which produced or carried them.

So, on March 14 of last year, I sent in a Communication via email to the Trinitarian Bible Society (of which I am a member), requesting that the General Committee consider the production of Pocket Psalters -- since they already produce words-only Psalters, both by themselves and appended to AV Bibles.

I've since then exchanged several emails with David Larlham, Assistant General Secretary of the Society. The most pertinent reads as follows:
Dear Mr McDonald

As anticipated on 30/11/06 (the date of his previous email to me), the General Committee has now approved the production of 5,000 Pocket Metrical Psalms, and the order has now been placed. The edition will be sewn case bound, black Balacron cover with head and tail bands. The size is 115 x 76mm. We are reintroducing the better wording on the title page, as attached.

We pray that the Lord will use this production to acquaint many more with the excellencies of the Psalms in metre, and that many will be persuaded to carry this small volume with them, together with a pocket edition of the Holy Scriptures!

With Christian greetings

David Larlham
Assistant General Secretary
The title page to which he refers reads as follows:
THE​

PSALMS OF DAVID

IN METRE

Translated and diligently compared with

THE ORIGINAL TEXT

AND

FORMER TRANSLATIONS

MORE PLAIN, SMOOTH, AND AGREEABLE TO THE TEXT
THAN ANY HERETOFORE

Allowed by the Authority of the General Assembly of the Kirk
of Scotland, and appointed to be sung in
Congregations and Families

1650​
According to his most recent email to me (January 2), "the Pocket Psalters may be ready in the early part of February, God willing."

I'm looking forward to my copy!

Outstanding!!!
Thanks!
this is going to be such a great thread, wasn't it? (first message was poorly timed. hmm...

I have a friend who has a pocket size Psalter, I'll have to ask her where she got hers.

In the meantime...good work! :up:

Cool! :up:

I recently ordered a Bible from Trinitarian Bible Society that has the Metrical Psalms included. Still waiting for it to arrive…

(went home for lunch and guess what was in the mailbox? this is very well worth it!)

Last edited:
Okay, totally new to all this. My first time singing out of a psalter (psalms for singing) was last April. The Scottish psalter as recently as several weeks ago.

Many thanks Sean for putting the bug in their ear. This is really great. I will be buying one or 6. :amen:

I guess I don't understand what a pocket version is then; how is it different than the small black one they have now, or have had?
As indicated in Mr. Larlham's email to me, the size for the Pocket Psalters is 115 x 76 mm -- roughly the size of a Gideon's New Testament, much smaller than their other Metrical Psalters. Pocket Psalters are especially good for private use of the Psalms, since one can carry the Psalter with them wherever they go (as long as they have pockets, of course).

I sent in the Communication primarily because it's a product I want, and (as a soldier) can definitely see using. It's frequently difficult for me to take a full-sized Psalter to firing ranges or field exercises; even my smaller AV Bible with the Metrical Psalms, although it fits in my cargo pocket, can get in the way. But a Psalter of this size is eminently practical for my purposes; I can still sing the praises of God wherever I go, without a bulky weight on my leg getting in my way and distracting from the mission.

this great! Would be nice to have a pocket size psalter.

I have to admit that of the various renditions of the psalter, the PDM is my favorite. It is a shame that metrical psalms have all but disappeared from Anglican parishes. :(

One of our missionaries returned from Japan over the holidays. She showed us some Japanese Bibles and hymnal. The standard size over there is all pocket size. They think it odd how Americans like everything to be so big.

Just some peripheral information that I thought was interesting. Carry on.

(btw, I dig the signature Pilgrim :up: )

I remember a while back reading about some history behind pocket-sized Metrical Psalters, and how it sounded like a really good idea. But I couldn't find any organizations which produced or carried them.

So, on March 14 of last year, I sent in a Communication via email to the Trinitarian Bible Society (of which I am a member), requesting that the General Committee consider the production of Pocket Psalters -- since they already produce words-only Psalters, both by themselves and appended to AV Bibles.

I've since then exchanged several emails with David Larlham, Assistant General Secretary of the Society. The most pertinent reads as follows:

According to his most recent email to me (January 2), "the Pocket Psalters may be ready in the early part of February, God willing."

So, now, the only missing information is: how, exactly, do I go about getting one of these?

I guess I don't understand what a pocket version is then; how is it different than the small black one they have now, or have had?

There used to be a small pocket-sized psalter (I think TBS?). Our congregation in Mays Landing NJ has some and I have seen them in Ireland too. Now the only ones available at the TBS website are the jumbo print ones--much easier on the eyes!! It sounds like they are going to publish the smaller ones again.

There used to be a small pocket-sized psalter (I think TBS?). Our congregation in Mays Landing NJ has some and I have seen them in Ireland too. Now the only ones available at the TBS website are the jumbo print ones--much easier on the eyes!! It sounds like they are going to publish the smaller ones again.
Yes; this is what I've concluded. Now, if they had it with music, that would be something; but I know how difficult that is from our psalter project. Typesetting and layout is a different animal altogether from any simple text book project.

As indicated in Mr. Larlham's email to me, the size for the Pocket Psalters is 115 x 76 mm -- roughly the size of a Gideon's New Testament...

A real desideratum, at least for me, would be a truly pocket-sized edition of the Book of Psalms, itself. The ESV folks put out an edition of the Psalms, but it is really still too large (too large for an average-sized pocket), and the paper and cover they use are quite stiff and not very flexible.

Anyone know if some publisher puts out a pocket-sized Book of Psalms?

Sean, is there an update on these becoming available? I went to the site today and I don't see them up yet. I would really like to get some. :book2: :pilgrim:

Sean, is there an update on these becoming available? I went to the site today and I don't see them up yet. I would really like to get some. :book2: :pilgrim:
Traci,
I was actually planning on emailing again today, if there was no word on the Psalters -- I've been regularly checking the TBS site, myself. But you prompted me to email sooner. :D

In response to my inquiry (or enquiry, I guess), Mr. Larlham responded,
Dear Mr McDonald

I'm told that we are anticipating delivery this month, hopefully in time to take some to the CBC Convention on 26th February. I trust to know more next week. Apparently, the quality of the initial image was not good, and the Belgian printers were asked to do a better job.

With Christian greetings

David Larlham
So, apparently the reason for the delay is so that we could get quality Pocket Psalters from Belgium. Or something. But still hopefully by the end of this month (D.V.!!!).

WOO-HOO! They're heeeeeere! :D

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, for $5.46, you too can own your own Pocket Psalter!

BTW, I'm not sure if you have to log in with your own information or not, in order to view this page. In which case, go to www.tbs-sales.org (log in, if necessary); click on "Other Publications"; then "Metrical Psalms"; and you should see the item listed as "Metrical Psalms - Pocket Size".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back