Please Give Your Thoughts On Hymns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
My dears friends. I need your input. One of the ways I serve the Lord is by singing hymns with seniors citizens. Before I do certain hymns I like to take a moment to reflect on the song and talk about what it means, and bring up a few points of application. Below is the list that I currently do. Please share with me anything that is valuable about these hymns that means a lot to you, so I can share that with others.

For example, How Great Thou Art, the verses are about what God has done for us in creation and salvation, and then the choruses call us to sing praise to God because of that. This means our minds think about the truth of God, and that leads our hearts to Sing worship to Him.

You are an important part in helping me serve others, so please give me as much as you are willing. Thank you so much!

1. To God Be The Glory

2. Are You Washed In The Blood?

3. How Great Thou Art

4. A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

5. How Firm A Foundation

6. Crown Him With Many Crowns

7. What A Friend We Have In Jesus

8. Rock Of Ages

9. I’ll Fly Away

10. Nothing But The Blood

11. Leaning On The Everlasting Arms

12. When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder

13. Praise To The Lord The Almighty

14. Holy, Holy, Holy

15. Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing

16. ‘Tis So Sweet To Trust in Jesus

17. Amazing Grace

18. It Is Well

19. Great Is Thy Faithfulness

20. Trust And Obey

21. Blessed Assurance

22. When I Survey The Wondrous Cross

23. Jesus Paid It All

24. Abide With Me

25. Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

26. Be Thou My Vision

27. Fairest Lord Jesus

28. Jesus Loves Me This I Know

29. His Eye Is On The Sparrow

30. Gloria Patri / Doxology

31. He Touched Me

32. What A Day That Will Be

33. Victory In Jesus

34. When We All Get To Heaven

35. I Love To Tell The Story

36. Because He Lives

37. Standing On The Promises

38. Just A Closer Walk With Thee

39. There Is Power In The Blood

40. I Need Thee Every Hour

41. Worship Christ, The Risen King!

42. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

43. Joy To The World! The Lord Is Come

44. Angels We Have Heard On High

45. Go, Tell It On The Mountain

46. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

47. Silent Night! Holy Night!

Ryan,

I don't have time to comment now on any of the hymns, but wanted to tell you that I'm thankful you're able to do this.

I trust God will bless your work!

As well, there are some on the list that may raise any reformed person's blood pressure a bit.
I don't see any immediately that would raise our blood pressure.

One, that isn't on the list, that would raise R.C. Sprouls blood pressure was "And Can It Be" becuase of the line "that Thou my God wouldst die for me"

When you don't know what else to say, you might read a related Bible verse. For some of these hymns, picking a verse is obvious: go to Psalm 103 for Praise to the Lord the Almighty, Psalm 98 for Joy to the World, Matthew 10:29 for His Eye is on the Sparrow, and Isaiah 6 for Holy, Holy, Holy. Other hymns have many passages that might work, and if you have a Trinity Hymnal and want a suggestion, each song in that hymnal comes with a fitting Bible verse cited at the top of the song.

And if you have trouble thinking of a Bible passage that fits a particular song (Because He Lives, I'll Fly Away), that's helpful too because it lets you realize you're about to sing a stinker.

Just a side note coming as from one who now embraces the RPW and how Psalms are the only appropriate songs to sing for worship. I am so so glad I do not have to evaluate and judge hymns anymore, or to place an implicate trust in men to do that job. I feel so free knowing the words I now sing are inspired in worship (which includes personal worship), and surpasses any judgment this sinner passes.

Last edited:
Just a side note coming as from one who now embraces the RPW and how Psalms are the only appropriate songs to sing for worship. I am so so glad I do not have to evaluate and judge hymns anymore, or to place an implicate trust in men to do that job. I feel so free knowing the words I now sing are inspired in worship (which includes personal worship), and surpass any judgment this sinner passes.

Curious, how do you arrive at the position that Psalms are the only proper songs for worship? I've never heard of this view before.

Curious, how do you arrive at the position that Psalms are the only proper songs for worship? I've never heard of this view before.
Brother, that's a big topic, and it would probably derail this thread. I suggest you post a new thread in the Exclusive Psalmody Subforum after browsing the existing threads in that forum.

For what it's worth, it was at one time the dominant view in Reformed Churches, and before that it was the dominant view in all Christendom, arguably.

While I sympathize with the EP position, being in an OPC congregation that sings hymns, psalms and spiritual songs, and since the OPC just spent years putting a new Psalter Hymnal together, I suspect I'll continue to sing hymns.
Not a bad thing, I love many of those listed in the OP. For a good reference to the origin, or at least a brief biography of the author of the hymn ;
https://www.amazon.com/Then-Sings-M...rd_wg=KTMCT&psc=1&refRID=BQF4KTNWJAYC5K7HRW25

Just a side note coming as from one who now embraces the RPW and how Psalms are the only appropriate songs to sing for worship. I am so so glad I do not have to evaluate and judge hymns anymore, or to place an implicate trust in men to do that job. I feel so free knowing the words I now sing are inspired in worship (which includes personal worship), and surpass any judgment this sinner passes.

Same here. We should always consider the words we are singing, but if we are singing the words of fallible men and women, we must always weigh them. It's distracting. I have found psalmody so liberating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back