Pleading on Bended Knees

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
I have been patiently waiting and waiting and waiting for someone, anyone, to republish Anthony's Burgess's work on justification. Frankly, I am astounded that no one has yet done this. With the possible exception of Daniel Featley, no one had a greater impact on the Assembly's formulations on justification than Burgess did, and yet it has not been republished. We need this in a critical edition, exceedingly well-bound, re-typeset, with the original pagination evident in the text.

Is this something RHB may be working on? @Regi Addictissimus
Otherwise, it is the sort of thing appropriate for NPSE to tackle, some day, maybe. Something got me off of it several years ago but I had looked at it as an idea.

Good question. I was talking to Joel Beeke about 5 or 6 years ago, and he said that after they finish William Perkins, he plans to do the works of Anthony Burgess. It looks like they changed plans, though, and are going with Samuel Rutherford.

Good question. I was talking to Joel Beeke about 5 or 6 years ago, and he said that after they finish William Perkins, he plans to do the works of Anthony Burgess. It looks like they changed plans, though, and are going with Samuel Rutherford.

Now that he's coming to the end of his systematic theology, what Beeke really needs to be doing is getting his Heidelberg Catechism sermons up to speed so that they can be typeset and published in a set (maybe 2 or 3 volumes) of proper books.

It's not in our plans at the moment. We have some major projects in the works, both with our publications and our operations.

This seems like a project for NPSE.

Now that he's coming to the end of his systematic theology, what Beeke really needs to be doing is getting his Heidelberg Catechism sermons up to speed so that they can be typeset and published in a set (maybe 2 or 3 volumes) of proper books.
I talked to Joel directly about this a few years ago. He doesn't have much interest in reviving these, at least at the time.

Thanks for the feedback Robert, and I will take it under advisement for NPSE for which it does seem suitable.
Lane, do you have both volumes in mind or one of the two in particular? I know we discussed this 11 years ago and I was working with Matthew Winzer back then on the 1648 volume mainly against antinomians and something had us hit a brick wall. @jw was going to help with proofing but I think everyone had life intervene and I know the release of some Burgess facsimiles ended plans to do Vindicae Legis. In fact, it was a complete works even envisioned. Matthew had all sorts of files but I know he had a disastrous computer crash a number of years afterward and I don't what besides the 1648 that I have may have been lost.
It's not in our plans at the moment. We have some major projects in the works, both with our publications and our operations.

This seems like a project for NPSE.
I have been patiently waiting and waiting and waiting for someone, anyone, to republish Anthony's Burgess's work on justification. Frankly, I am astounded that no one has yet done this. With the possible exception of Daniel Featley, no one had a greater impact on the Assembly's formulations on justification than Burgess did, and yet it has not been republished. We need this in a critical edition, exceedingly well-bound, re-typeset, with the original pagination evident in the text.

Happy to help to make this a reality. This was something I brought up a few years ago as a critical project that needs to be tackled.

Happy to help to make this a reality. This was something I brought up a few years ago as a critical project that needs to be tackled.
Did you have in mind just the 30 lectures of the 1648 work directed mainly at Antinomianism or also the later 45 sermons more toward Romanists?

Everything by Burgess on justification needs to be published. Yes, we do have Vindiciae Legis in facsimile (I have a copy), but we need that re-typeset as well. A complete Burgess would be splendiferous. He is one of the most important Westminster divines. We now have his sermons on John 17 (from RHB), and that is fantastic. But we need a lot more. Robert, whatever you can do to make this a reality will put the entire church deeply in RHB's debt.

Everything by Burgess on justification needs to be published. Yes, we do have Vindiciae Legis in facsimile (I have a copy), but we need that re-typeset as well. A complete Burgess would be splendiferous. He is one of the most important Westminster divines. We now have his sermons on John 17 (from RHB), and that is fantastic. But we need a lot more. Robert, whatever you can do to make this a reality will put the entire church deeply in RHB's debt.
I've written Matthew to see about the 1648 Justification which I do have files for and to see if anything else survives from a PC crash a number of years ago. I'm toying with Durham on Song of Solomon for next year's NPSE but there are several serious contenders for the slot and I've not made my mind up.

Chris, Durham on SoS was published in the Geneva series of commentaries by BoT. If one wants to get a hold of that, they can get it in a decent edition. Why publish that in your series, when there are such important books as Burgess on justification that have NEVER been republished?

Did you have in mind just the 30 lectures of the 1648 work directed mainly at Antinomianism or also the later 45 sermons more toward Romanists?
Both need to see the light of day once again.

On another note, I pushed through William Whitaker's Disputations. We will be reprinting that now.

Robert, whatever you can do to make this a reality will put the entire church deeply in RHB's debt.
As a longtime fan of NP, I helped get the NPSE series picked up by RHB. Being the case, I think I can get one of Beeke's all time favorites on our print calendar.

With that being said, there are no guarantees; it is a group decision.

Last edited:
Chris, Durham on SoS was published in the Geneva series of commentaries by BoT. If one wants to get a hold of that, they can get it in a decent edition. Why publish that in your series, when there are such important books as Burgess on justification that have NEVER been republished?
All the modern editions of Durham on SoS have been reprints of the 1840 edition. While I have not examined it to be absolutely sure, I doubt the text can't be substantially improved and SoS is the only published work of Durham left that I have not put out in new modern texts. In sending volume 3 of Revelation off last week, I've done them all but SoS. That makes it high on my bucket list. That being said, if NPSE continues (and it all depends on the sponsorships which make it possible continue), I may put it to a vote and if enough feel like you do (enough Durham) that could bump it forward. Also, anyone can sponsor can get me interested in a title if they are willing to sponsor it aggressively. Right now I am leaving options open. There are a couple of projects that have the benefit of having rough draft texts, of which Burgess is one of them (better shape than Durham on SoS almost certainly).

I talked to Joel directly about this a few years ago. He doesn't have much interest in reviving these, at least at the time.

As you say, though, that was several years ago, when he was buried in work on the ST. I hope he'll be able to see his way to getting the Heidelberg Catechism project done. I think he has said that the sermons do need some tweaking. Keep encouraging him!

Oh, hahaha, now I see.

Noob alert here.

Imagine being so unaware of Westminster divines by name that - for a while - I was shocked, (shocked!) that the author of A Clockwork Orange had written so profoundly on theology that it would be held as essential among Puritans' spiritual and intellectual modern-day descendants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back