Philosophy Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSH

Puritan Board Freshman
I’m looking to start diving into studying philosophy next year. What are a few good texts to get me started? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m looking to start diving into studying philosophy next year. What are a few good texts to get me started? Thanks.

Jacques Maritain's An Introduction to Philosophy* was highly recommended to me by some professor friends a few years back. I started it and found it excellent. Mean to continue it someday.

You can find free pdfs for download, I believe, or buy a cheap e-copy.

*Note: it calls itself an "introduction," but it's hardly that. Very in-depth.

I am reading A History of Western Philosophy by Anthony Kenny. Not too far in, but a nice thick introduction.

A History of Western Philosophy and Theology by John M. Frame (Phillipsburg: P&R, 2015), 32 pages of front matter, then 875 pages of text and back matter. Includes illustrations and a running outline in the margins.

Gordon Clark's Thales to Dewey is a punchy survey of philosophy. It was originally written as an intro text. I've read it a couple of times and it serves as a reference.

Dabney's The Sensualistic Philosophy of the Nineteenth Century is very worthwhile, even if relatively unknown nowadays.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Any thoughts on, “ Redeeming Philosophy” by Poythress?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back